The Department of Teacher Education offers programs leading to teacher licensure in the state of Arkansas. The Teacher Education programs at SAU have a long history of preparing teachers and are accredited by CAEP (Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation).
Before a candidate is eligible for admission into the College of Education, the following requirements must be met:
- 3.00 GPA (The Office of Admissions, Field Experience and Licensure (AFEL) and/or appropriate Educator Preparation Program (EPP) faculty committee may consider admitting those applicants who meet all the admission criteria except the required minimum GPA of 3.0 (must be between 2.7 and 2.99) by rank of GPA and dispositions.)
- Passing scores on the Praxis™ Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) tests in Reading (passing score = 156), Writing (passing score = 162) and Mathematics (passing score = 150). Visit the ETS website for complete information about the Praxis series of examinations. Information about taking the examinations is also available through the SAU Office of Counseling and Testing (or equivalent ACT scores – contact an advisor for information on using ACT scores in place of the Praxis Core).
- A grade of C or better in the following courses: Composition 1, Composition 2, College Algebra, Intro to Education, Field Experience I (credit received), Speech.
- Completion of at least 42 credit hours.
- Approval by the student’s advisor
Candidates will be evaluated upon admissions, and throughout their program, on professional dispositions. These dispositions are discussed in the disposition handbook. Candidates who are found to be unsatisfactory in the professional dispositions outlined in the handbook may be released from the program.
Transfer Students: Students who transfer to the university from two year community or junior colleges must meet the requirements listed above to pursue an undergraduate major in the College of Education.
Teacher Education Programs
- Agricultural Education
- Elementary Education (K-6 STEM)
- Elementary Education (K-6)
- English with minor in Education and Teaching Certification
- Foreign Language (Spanish Education)
- Master of Arts in Teaching
- Mathematics with Education Minor
- Middle School Education
- Middle School Education (STEM)
- Music Education (Instrumental) BFA
- Music Education (Vocal) BFA
- Physical Education and Health
- Teaching (Non-Degree)