- When an abbreviation is not quickly recognizable, spell out the entire name in the first reference. The abbreviation, generally without periods, can be used thereafter.
- Southern Arkansas University, Magnolia, should be spelled out in the first reference. The identifying abbreviation may be omitted following the reference because of its customary usage among schools.“SAU” or “the University” may be used thereafter.
- All documents going to State of Arkansas officials or offices must use Southern Arkansas University, Magnolia and SAUM since this is the official state designation. This will prevent confusion.
- The abbreviations “for example” and “that is” should be preceded by and followed by commas, and periods should be used.
- i.e., , e.g.,
- Spell out days of the week and months of the year. Where space is limited, use the following abbreviations:
- Sun., Mon., Tues., Wed., Thurs., Fri., Sat.
- Use these abbreviations for time terminology:
- a.m., p.m. – Lowercase with periods.
- The abbreviation Esq. (for Esquire) and other titles such as Mr., Mrs., and Dr. should not appear with any other title or with abbreviations indicating scholastic degrees.
Incorrect Correct President Dr. Bill Ingram President Bill Ingram Mr. John L. Smith, Esq., John L. Smith Esq., AM John L. Smith, Esq., James A. Jones, Jr., Esq. Mr. Ford Maddux, AB, Ph.D. Ford Maddux, AB, Ph.D. Dr. George Gray, MD George Gray, MD
Associate of Arts – AA
Bachelor of Arts – BA, AB
Bachelor of Business Administration – BBA
Bachelor of Education – BEd
Bachelor of Engineering – BE
Bachelor of Fine Arts – BFA
Bachelor of Music in Education – BME
Bachelor of Nursing – BN
Bachelor of Science – BS
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration – BSBA
Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering – BSChE
Bachelor of Science in Education – BSE
Bachelor of Science in Nursing – BSN
Master of Arts – MA
Master of Arts in Liberal Studies – MLA
Master of Business Administration – MBA
Master of Education – MEd
Master of Fine Arts – MFA
Master of Science – MS
Master of Science in Nursing – MSN
Master of Social Work – MSW
Doctor of Business Administration – DBA
Doctor of Education – EdD
Doctor of Jurisprudence (Juris Doctor) – JD
Doctor of Medicine – MD
Doctor of Nursing Practice – DNP
Doctor of Philosophy – PhD
- Use an ampersand only when it is part of an organization’s formal name. An ampersand should never replace the word “and” otherwise.
- The Department of Theatre and Mass Communication