Southern Arkansas University - the most affordable, fastest growing university in Arkansas

Social Logo

Social @ SAU

Hey Muleriders! This week I am going to talk to you all about the importance of getting an internship while you are studying here at SAU. There are many reasons that participating in an internship is beneficial to you. It will give you an advantage when applying for jobs. It can help you determine what career path you want to take. It could potentially teach you valuable skills for when you enter the workforce. There are many reasons to apply for an internship!

Below are three Muleriders who share their experience with the internships that they have had.

Alexandria Hunter, Senior, Biology Major

“Throughout my time at SAU, I was able to participate in three internships that built on my education and helped to shape my interests.

For the first semester of my sophomore year, I participated in the Disney College Program in Orlando, Florida. I was able to gain job experience with a large company while living away from home and receiving college credit. The next summer was spent with Arkansas Game and Fish Biologists participating in hands on field work, professional development, and observing how our wildlife and habitats are managed in the region. For my third internship, I was able to spend the summer living in Grand Canyon National Park serving as a Naturalist Intern for Canyon Field School focusing on environmental education.

Each internship was valuable in gaining skills outside the classroom and building my resume, but most importantly, they gave me exposure to different careers so that I now have clarity as to where my interests and passions truly belong in the professional world.”

Erin Chewning, Senior, Financial Planning Major

“Over the past two summers studying at SAU, I have completed two insightful internships in the summers of 2018 and 2019. In 2018, I interned at an independent wealth management firm in Columbus, OH named Budros, Ruhlin & Roe. In 2019, I interned at a wealth advisory firm in St. Louis, MO named HighTower Wealth Advisors. Both of my internships gave me valuable hands on work experiences and insight into the financial planning industry. During my internships, I completed various projects in areas such as market research, risk analysis, estate planning and fee schedule analysis. I feel that I have an advantage entering the workforce due to my extensive internship experience and education.”

Micah Larey, Senior, Finance and Accounting Double Major

“My internship is at Emrich & Scroggins, LLP, a certified public accounting firm in El Dorado, Arkansas. This opportunity is allowing me to experience exactly what duties I’ll be performing when I officially join the workforce. My goal is to become a CPA myself, and I am getting the chance to see exactly what that involves day in and day out of my internship. I have learned a lot from the curriculum I have been through but there is nothing like getting hands on experience and understanding the roles, functions, and all aspects of a public accounting firm. This internship will definitely give me a leg up on starting a career in the profession versus having not took the step in getting a valuable internship that is relevant to my interests.”

As you can see, internships are extremely important in preparing you for the post-graduation life. If you would like more information about how to apply for an internship, click here.

About the Author
Recent Posts
Mulerider Living
Lindsey O'Neal

Baylie’s Crib

Our crib’s feature is a Social @ SAU series that highlights decked-out residence hall rooms across the SAU campus. So if you are looking for

Mulerider Living
Colby Clinton

Mulerider Expert: Battling Flu Season

Hey Muleriders! It’s that time of year again: flu season. It’s arguably the yuckiest time of the year, and you’re likely to know someone who

Mulerider Living
Lindsey O'Neal

Karly, Madesyn, Rebecca, and MyKayla’s Crib

Our crib’s feature is a Social @ SAU series that highlights decked-out residence hall rooms across the SAU campus.  So if you are looking for

Mulerider Living
Hunter Byrd

Mulerider Spotlight: Kiarra Evans

Mulerider Spotlight is a Social @ SAU series that highlights students, faculty, and staff of SAU. There are so many wonderful people at SAU, and

Athletics
Colby Clinton

Mulegating 101

Southern Arkansas University is a school with deep roots and rich tradition, and one of those traditions is our own version of tailgating, called Mulegating!

Southern Arkansas University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission. All Rights Reserved.
100 E. University, Magnolia, Arkansas 71753-5000 Telephone: (870) 235-4000