Social Logo

Eight students will compete in the annual Miss Southern Arkansas University Scholarship Competition. The competition will be on February 29 at 6 p.m. in Harton Theatre. Doors will open at 5 p.m.

In addition to the title of Miss SAU, the winner receives a $5,000 scholarship to SAU plus a prize package. The winner will compete in the 2020 Miss Arkansas Scholarship Competition in June. Throughout the night, over $11,000 in scholarships will be available.

General admission is $10, children under 5 are free, and students with a current SAU ID get in free.

Let’s meet your Miss SAU 2020 Contestants!

Mackenzie Leal

Classification: Senior
Major: Performing Arts: Theatre
Hometown: El Dorado, AR

Social Impact Statement: Art Transforms Minds and Communities

Mackenzie wants to be Miss SAU 2020 “because I want to show the value in being genuine! I’ve been told my entire life that I was different, I want to show that being different is a strength! And you can let your differences be a strength and shine in your life.”

Olivia Taylor

Classification: Freshman
Major: Pre-Nursing
Hometown: Sarepta, LA

Social Impact Statement: My Silent Voice Does Not Speak My Truth

Olivia wants to be Miss SAU 2020 “because it will give me the opportunity to be the voice for children who feel like they are less than due to their speech impediments.”

Laiken Newton

Classification: Junior
Major: Performing Arts: Musical Theatre
Hometown: Ashdown, AR

Social Impact Statement: Being Aware of Abuses You Can’t See

Laiken wants to be Miss SAU 2020 “because I have always been proud to wear the blue and gold. When I came to SAU, I truly felt like I had found my perfect home. I had found a place where I could be my true self and surrounded by others that felt the same. This passion for my school is what inspired me to participate in the Miss SAU pageant. What better way to share my love for my home than possibly becoming Miss SAU 2020. 

Haley Reed

Classification: Sophomore
Major: Elementary Education
Hometown: Smackover, AR

Social Impact Statement: Literacy for Life

Haley wants to be Miss SAU 2020 “because not only would it allow me to promote my social impact, ‘Literacy for Life,’ but I would also have credibility within local school systems to take further steps towards solving the issue. Being able to read and write is so important, and I want to do my part as Miss SAU to ensure that no student is left behind.”

Carson Beeching

Classification: Sophomore
Major: Pre-Nursing
Hometown: Sherwood, AR

Social Impact Statement: Comfort Care with Carson

Carson wants to be Miss SAU 2020 “because I love this university and serving a place that has given me so much would truly be rewarding.” 

Ciara Pharr

Classification: Freshman
Major: Biology: Pre-Health
Hometown: El Dorado, AR

Social Impact Statement: S.H.I.N.E

Ciara wants to be Miss SAU 2020 “because being Miss SAU would mean I could share my passion with people everywhere. I want to help others be their best selves and shine their brightest. Obesity in Arkansas has increased tremendously in the past couple of years and I would love to educate people on how we can lower these percentages in the future. Living a healthy and active lifestyle is what our bodies crave and as Miss SAU 2020, I would love the opportunity to help others achieve their best.”

Megan Mullin

Classification: Sophomore
Major: Pre-Nursing
Hometown: Smackover, AR

Social Impact Statement: Fight Hunger, Build Futures

Megan wants to be Miss SAU 2020 “because it will allow me to be the voice for the children struggling with food insecurity in our community. This will allow me to provide children with their food needs. Miss Southern Arkansas University till also provide financial assistance for me to have the greatest opportunity to fulfill my academic and career goals.”

Faith Sipes

Classification: Freshman
Major: Pre-Nursing
Hometown: Rison, AR

Social Impact Statement: Be Wise, Immunize

Faith wants to be Miss SAU 2020 “because I would love to represent the presence of joy, laughter and kindness our campus is so well known for. I believe with my quality of being loyal, I can show others how to be a steadfast person, student and so much more. I want to emphasize that with a strong, dedicated work ethic, you can accomplish any goals or dreams you have set for yourself. “

About the Author
Recent Posts
Mulerider Living
Lindsey O'Neal

Live the Mulerider Life with University Housing

It’s that time of the year again!  That’s right. The housing application process is open and ready for your application. At Southern Arkansas University, there

Mulerider Living
Lindsey O'Neal

Baylie’s Crib

Our crib’s feature is a Social @ SAU series that highlights decked-out residence hall rooms across the SAU campus. So if you are looking for

Education
Web Student Worker

The Importance of Internships

Hey Muleriders! This week I am going to talk to you all about the importance of getting an internship while you are studying here at

Mulerider Living
Web Student Worker

Mulerider Expert: Battling Flu Season

Hey Muleriders! It’s that time of year again: flu season. It’s arguably the yuckiest time of the year, and you’re likely to know someone who

Mulerider Living
Lindsey O'Neal

Karly, Madesyn, Rebecca, and MyKayla’s Crib

Our crib’s feature is a Social @ SAU series that highlights decked-out residence hall rooms across the SAU campus.  So if you are looking for

Southern Arkansas University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission. All Rights Reserved.
100 E. University, Magnolia, Arkansas 71753-5000 Telephone: (870) 235-4000
Online Privacy