You will need a driver’s license to drive in the US. Some international driver’s licenses are accepted but may cause problems if you are pulled over. It is recommended that if you plan to drive you should get an Arkansas license. To get a driver’s license you will need to take a written exam and a driving test. If you already have a driver’s license from your home country you may be able to skip the written part.
If you just need to get a State ID, you may go directly to the Magnolia Revenue Office with your immigration documents.
Taking the Written Exam
- The written exam is offered every Tuesday and Thursday morning and afternoon at the Department of Arkansas Workforce. It is located next to Subway near McDonald’s.
- If you’re unsure of the exam time, please call their office at 870-234-3440.
- If you already have a license, you can ask them if you need to take the written part.
- To prepare for the exam read the Arkansas Drivers’ Manual.
Taking the Driving Test
- You will need to have a vehicle for this portion of the exam.
- You will return to the Department of Arkansas Workforce for this part. The test is at 1pm every Tuesday and Thursday.
Once you pass both of these you will receive a form you need to take to the Revenue Office to get your driver’s License . The Revenue Office is located on the square, downtown. They are open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Revenue office address:
Magnolia Revenue Office
101 South Court Square
Magnolia, AR 71753
You will need the following documents to get your license or ID:
- I-20 – If you transferred from another university take your I-20 from your previous school as well as your current I-20.
- I-94 – Passport, visa
If you don’t have these documents you WILL NOT get a license.
Remember, you MUST have car insurance to own a vehicle. It is against the law to drive without a license or insurance. You will have to go to court, pay a heavy fine, and possibly have your vehicle towed if you are pulled over without either of them.