Fall 2018 Orientation
Date: August 17, 2018
Please see the Schedule tab below to learn more about our orientation events.
Location: Global Center – Map and Directions
During orientation, you will have the opportunity to:
- Meet current SAU students
- Complete immigration check-in
- Register for classes
- Arrange payment for classes
- Familiarize yourself with SAU, American culture, and Immigration policies
For information on traveling, immunizations, clothing, what to pack, and more please visit our Planning and Arrival page.
Please make sure to click on each tab below for important information!
It is mandatory to attend the Orientation Session. Failing to attend orientation will delay your registration for classes and could cause complications with your immigration status.
What to bring to Orientation:
- Copies of your passport ID and U.S. F-1 visa page
- Copy of I-94
- Completed Medical History Form
- Immunization information – Proof of MMR Shot (if applicable)
ONLY SUBMIT ONE FORM
Transportation will be offered from August 15th to 17th.
You need to schedule your arrival to coincide with these dates if you wish for SAU to provide transportation.
You should plan to arrive at the Texarkana Regional Airport (TXK) in Texarkana, Arkansas. This is the ONLY airport we provide transportation from. We cannot provide transportation from other cities. The Texarkana Airport connects with Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport.
There is no public transportation between Texarkana and Magnolia, and Magnolia does not have a public transportation system as well.
You must review the Immunization Information Sheet, to familiarize yourself with the current regulations. You must print out the Medical History Form and bring the completed form with you to orientation.
You must bring proof of the MMR injection (in English) to our university on the day of orientation.
Transfer students must bring proof of any MMR, T-spot (Quantiferon TB Gold Test) they may have received at a previous school.
Students who do not plan on signing up for Lewermark Insurance through the University must bring proof of their private Insurance on the day of orientation.
Funds can be sent before you arrive or once your class schedule is made. Tuition and fees will be applied to your student account once you are registered for classes. Payment for tuition and fees are expected in FULL at the time of registration.
To transfer funds, SAU uses Flywire to make the process as easy as possible. Please visit our Student Account’s page to learn more about how to pay by clicking on the link below:
SCHEDULES WILL BE DROPPED IF PAYMENT IS NOT MADE BY THE FIRST DAY OF CLASSES
There are NO in-house payment arrangements.
For questions please contact:
Brenda Garrett | 870-235-4019 | email@example.com
Kendra Copeland | 870-235-5116 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Tara Stephens | 870-235-4013 | TaraStephens@saumag.edu
Bria Snowden | 870-235-4018 | email@example.com
You will need to apply for Housing, and this should be done as soon as possible. Please visit the Housing page and complete their application by following the link below:
For Housing questions please email Trysta Walker at TrystaWalker@saumag.edu.
Wednesday, August 15:
- Mentors meet students at the residence halls
Thursday, August 16:
- 5:30 pm: dinner and games with mentors at Global Center
Friday, August 17th:
- 10: am: Campus Tour
- 12:00 pm: lunch at Global Center (provided by Immanuel Baptist Church)
- 1:00 pm-5:00 pm: Orientation Sessions
- 5:00 pm—8:00 pm: shuttle to Wal-Mart
Saturday, August 18th:
- 2:00 pm—5 pm: laser tag
- 5:30 pm—7:00 pm: dinner in Magnolia
Sunday, August 19th:
- 12:00 pm: Mulerider Roundup Begins
Monday, August 20th:
- 8:00 AM—12:30 pm: ACT exam
- 8:00 AM—12:00 pm: if SAT or ACT scores already provided, register for classes
- 1:30 pm—5:00 pm: register for classes
- 3:45 pm—9:30 pm: Mulerider Roundup activities
Tuesday, August 21st:
- 9:00 AM—5:00 pm: Mulerider Roundup activities
- 9:00 AM-5:00 pm: finish registering for classes, visit Business Office
- 5:00 pm-7:00 pm: Blue and Gold day on the Magnolia Square
If you have not taken the SAT exam before you arrive at SAU then you will need to take the ACT exam, which is scheduled on the Monday before classes begin. The exam is used to determine your math and English skills.
To start with regular English and math course students must meet a score of 19 on the ACT. Students that score below a 19, approximately 450 on the SAT sections, in the math and English sections will be required to take remedial classes their first semester to ensure they have the skills needed to better transition to university level courses. To ensure you perform well on the ACT it is highly recommended that you start preparing for the ACT as soon as possible. There are sample questions and tests online.
Remedial courses are additional classes that do not count toward your degree but are required to enter regular courses.