All F1 visa students are required to purchase health insurance. You will be billed for the insurance at the beginning of each semester. Students who request a waiver for the mandatory insurance must demonstrate that they have comparable insurance coverage each semester. To petition for a waiver, students must follow the procedures outlined below.
A new waiver form must be completed each semester.
The following students are eligible for a waiver:
- None F1 students
- Students that have a plan provided by their home country
- Students covered by a family member’s U.S. employer insurance
- Current athletic/sports covered by their department’s insurance
Waivers are not acceptable for individual plans purchased in the U.S.
- Complete the Waiver Request form and upload your alternative health insurance policy information (details below)
- The staff will consider an insurance waiver request and a decision to grant a waiver will be decided within one week after the waiver is received. Waiver request decisions are final.
- Students who receive a waiver will be notified by email and will have the insurance charge removed from their account. If you have already paid it will be credited back to your account. If you have questions please contact Student Accounts in the Business Office.
Alternative Insurance Policy:
Along with this form, you are required to provide written proof that the alternative insurance policy meets the following coverage requirements in order to have a waiver request accepted (not required for athletic insurance). The alternative policy must:
- Be written in English
- Be converted to U.S. dollar values
- Provide comparable coverage per year to the amount of $500,000 annual coverage.
- Covers 100% in network claims.
- Have a deductible not greater than $100 per condition
- Provide at least U.S $25,000 for repatriation
- Provide at least U.S $25,000 for medical evacuation
- Provide continuous coverage during academic semesters and University breaks and vacation periods (including Winter break and summer break)