Social Logo

Dr. Mabub Ahmed received his B.S in Mechanical Engineering from Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology in 1997. He also has earned his M.S in Industrial Engineering from Lamar University in 2001 and then completed his Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering with an emphasis in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Texas-El Paso in 2008. Ahmed has taught at Georgia Southern and UTEP before joining the SAU Engineering program.

Why did you choose to start teaching at SAU?

“I chose to teach at SAU because I love the interaction I have with my students. When I was earning my Ph.D. at El Paso, I did not know exactly what I wanted to do with my degree. I started helping students by tutoring them and realized teaching was my passion. I found the mechanical engineering program at SAU, and I have been here ever since.”

Why did you choose to pursue a degree in engineering?

“I love math, science, and physics; all of those fit very well with engineering. I was born in Bangladesh, and it is very different over there compared to here. I wanted to elevate my family status by getting a degree in engineering. I wanted to make them happy.”

Is there a challenging project you were involved with during the past couple of years?

“A project that was very close to me was the accreditation process to make sure we were an accredited engineering program. I was the engineering coordinator, so I had to collect all kinds of data and make sure everything was in place for us to be able to receive the accreditation. Also, I had a student that I mentored last spring do a project titled, ‘Developing Soft Actuators at SAU Engineering.’ That student won first place in the Engineering category of the research poster presentation at the 103rd Annual Arkansas Academy of Science meeting in Spring of 2019.”

What do you think are the most important attributes of an excellent instructor?

“I believe we have to be patient when dealing with students. We need to give them good exposure and good communications skills they need to thrive as an Engineering graduate.”

Why should a student choose a career in engineering?

“Engineering is a practical profession. You have a lot of hands-on experience. You have many projects you can work on by yourself, with a group, or with a professor. Many of the students in the engineering program love what they do.”

If you could give one piece of advice to a student who is interested in pursuing a degree in engineering, what would you tell them?

“Work extremely hard. It is super important that you work as hard as you possibly can. There is a lot of math and physics involved, and you must understand that to be able to thrive in this program. You also need to have a good concept of time management. You should also make sure that you are involved in multiple activities like the engineering society that we have. When you pursue an engineering degree, you will learn so many traits that will help you throughout your life.”

About the Author
Recent Posts

Miss SAU 2020

Eight students will compete in the annual Miss Southern Arkansas University Scholarship Competition. The competition will be on February 29 at 6 p.m. in Harton Theatre.

Mulerider Living
Lindsey O'Neal

Live the Mulerider Life with University Housing

It’s that time of the year again!  That’s right. The housing application process is open and ready for your application. At Southern Arkansas University, there

Mulerider Living
Lindsey O'Neal

Baylie’s Crib

Our crib’s feature is a Social @ SAU series that highlights decked-out residence hall rooms across the SAU campus. So if you are looking for

Education
Web Student Worker

The Importance of Internships

Hey Muleriders! This week I am going to talk to you all about the importance of getting an internship while you are studying here at

Mulerider Living
Web Student Worker

Mulerider Expert: Battling Flu Season

Hey Muleriders! It’s that time of year again: flu season. It’s arguably the yuckiest time of the year, and you’re likely to know someone who

Southern Arkansas University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission. All Rights Reserved.
100 E. University, Magnolia, Arkansas 71753-5000 Telephone: (870) 235-4000
Online Privacy