Southern Arkansas University - the most affordable, fastest growing university in Arkansas

Social Logo

Social @ SAU

Dr. Mabub Ahmed received his B.S in Mechanical Engineering from Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology in 1997. He also has earned his M.S in Industrial Engineering from Lamar University in 2001 and then completed his Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering with an emphasis in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Texas-El Paso in 2008. Ahmed has taught at Georgia Southern and UTEP before joining the SAU Engineering program.

Why did you choose to start teaching at SAU?

“I chose to teach at SAU because I love the interaction I have with my students. When I was earning my Ph.D. at El Paso, I did not know exactly what I wanted to do with my degree. I started helping students by tutoring them and realized teaching was my passion. I found the mechanical engineering program at SAU, and I have been here ever since.”

Why did you choose to pursue a degree in engineering?

“I love math, science, and physics; all of those fit very well with engineering. I was born in Bangladesh, and it is very different over there compared to here. I wanted to elevate my family status by getting a degree in engineering. I wanted to make them happy.”

Is there a challenging project you were involved with during the past couple of years?

“A project that was very close to me was the accreditation process to make sure we were an accredited engineering program. I was the engineering coordinator, so I had to collect all kinds of data and make sure everything was in place for us to be able to receive the accreditation. Also, I had a student that I mentored last spring do a project titled, ‘Developing Soft Actuators at SAU Engineering.’ That student won first place in the Engineering category of the research poster presentation at the 103rd Annual Arkansas Academy of Science meeting in Spring of 2019.”

What do you think are the most important attributes of an excellent instructor?

“I believe we have to be patient when dealing with students. We need to give them good exposure and good communications skills they need to thrive as an Engineering graduate.”

Why should a student choose a career in engineering?

“Engineering is a practical profession. You have a lot of hands-on experience. You have many projects you can work on by yourself, with a group, or with a professor. Many of the students in the engineering program love what they do.”

If you could give one piece of advice to a student who is interested in pursuing a degree in engineering, what would you tell them?

“Work extremely hard. It is super important that you work as hard as you possibly can. There is a lot of math and physics involved, and you must understand that to be able to thrive in this program. You also need to have a good concept of time management. You should also make sure that you are involved in multiple activities like the engineering society that we have. When you pursue an engineering degree, you will learn so many traits that will help you throughout your life.”

About the Author
Recent Posts
Athletics
Colby Clinton

Mulegating 101

Southern Arkansas University is a school with deep roots and rich tradition, and one of those traditions is our own version of tailgating, called Mulegating!

Mulerider Spotlight
Hunter Byrd

Mulerider Spotlight: Benita Carbone

Mulerider Spotlight is a Social @ SAU series that highlights students, faculty, and staff of SAU. There are so many wonderful people at SAU, and

Mulerider Living
Lindsey O'Neal

Study Tips For Midterms

With midterms approaching next week, it is finally hitting all of us that maybe we should have been studying a little bit before now. Midterms

Mulerider Spotlight
Hunter Byrd

Mulerider Spotlight: Michael White

Tell us a little about yourself. “Well, I am originally from Nashville, AR, and moved to Magnolia in 2003 to start college. In the Spring

Mulerider Living
Lindsey O'Neal

Megan and Corynn’s Crib

Our crib’s feature is a Social @ SAU series that highlights decked-out residence hall rooms across the SAU campus.  So if you are looking for

Southern Arkansas University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission. All Rights Reserved.
100 E. University, Magnolia, Arkansas 71753-5000 Telephone: (870) 235-4000