Social Logo

Music exists in our everyday lives; the backdrop for those long car rides or short walks. People use music as an agent of motivation or relaxation, and this is especially true on a college campus. Here, everyone has their problems and fear of the next chemistry test or the anxiousness that your presentation wasn’t good enough. Music can be a thing for someone to fall into, a distraction from the real world, and create motivation and the sense of a goal to be accomplished.

This leads into using music as a study tool. Anytime I work on my computer, I have some kind of music playing. The type of music I play really depends on the mood I’m in, but it’s usually soft, acoustic instrumentals, which is what I’m listening to right now. Now, I haven’t been the most productive student at times and papers that should’ve been written over the course of a week needed to be written in a day or less. In this situation, more upbeat music can encourage productivity, and I can verify that it works.

Finding the Right Music.

The biggest factor in finding the right music is your music taste. You know what kind of music you like and should be able to determine what kind of music can get you through your working woes. If you’re unsure of what music to listen to, start with yourself and where you’re working. Do you like to sing along to music while you’re doing work, or do you encapsulate yourself in the music and slowly vibe along to the beat? Do you normally listen to faster-paced music, or slower? When’s the deadline for the assignment you’re working on? Let’s start answering these questions and finding out what music works for you to get stuff done!

Classical Music

Classical music is probably the most obvious choice of music to listen to while working. Classical has such a broad range of tempo and beat that it can be used for almost any task. Some classical music has lyrics or soft harmonics to accompany the music so if you like to sing along, you can. Classical music is a safe choice if you’re experimenting with music while working.

Rock Music

I know what you’re thinking, “Why in the world would I listen to rock music while trying to get things done?” Well, this is more a test of your taste. Rock music is far from the best choice for most people, but there are exceptions to everything. I’ve personally listened to rock genres while working, primarily songs that I know and have heard before. Singing and air-strumming along is second nature while I focus on the work that needs to get done. Maybe give rock a chance?

Instrumental Music

This is my go-to music to listen to. Soft, instrumental music. I normally do my work a few days in advance with little worry about whether I’ll finish my assignments or not, so the soft tones accompanying my typing or writing feel me with a sense of safety and a calm atmosphere. In particular, I prefer to listen to acoustic instrumentals as a guitar player, but orchestral instrumentals are also nice.

Video Game Music

This may come as a surprise to most, but video game music is very effective in creating productivity in a person. The beats and tones in a video game soundtrack are usually high-tempo and jumpy, so why does it work? Well, it’s simple really; the music in a video game is designed to push you forward towards your objective, overcoming anything in your way. It works the same way when doing school work. “You can do it! You’re almost there!”

White Noise

White noise is the noise of nothing, but also everything. It’s very strange. The best way to describe white noise is to imagine sitting in an empty grocery store with no one around for miles. There’s no sound except for you and maybe the occasional gust of wind or patter of paper. White noise can be anything from just a ringing to the sounds of a rain forest to the crackling of a lightning storm. It’s all based on one’s taste. Personally, it doesn’t really work for me but give it a try, it might for you!

I hope this helps you get your work done more productively. I know I’ve found myself in a place where I’ve needed to get work done and I have the free time on my hands, but work is the last thing I want to do. Music has really helped me, I hope it helps you!

Recent Posts

Miss SAU 2020

Eight students will compete in the annual Miss Southern Arkansas University Scholarship Competition. The competition will be on February 29 at 6 p.m. in Harton Theatre.

Mulerider Living
Lindsey O'Neal

Live the Mulerider Life with University Housing

It’s that time of the year again!  That’s right. The housing application process is open and ready for your application. At Southern Arkansas University, there

Mulerider Living
Lindsey O'Neal

Baylie’s Crib

Our crib’s feature is a Social @ SAU series that highlights decked-out residence hall rooms across the SAU campus. So if you are looking for

Education
Web Student Worker

The Importance of Internships

Hey Muleriders! This week I am going to talk to you all about the importance of getting an internship while you are studying here at

Mulerider Living
Web Student Worker

Mulerider Expert: Battling Flu Season

Hey Muleriders! It’s that time of year again: flu season. It’s arguably the yuckiest time of the year, and you’re likely to know someone who

Southern Arkansas University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission. All Rights Reserved.
100 E. University, Magnolia, Arkansas 71753-5000 Telephone: (870) 235-4000
Online Privacy