Southern Arkansas University recognizes the benefits that students receive by living on-campus and the community and support it brings. Because of this, SAU has an established undergraduate live on-campus requirement.
SAU requires all full-time undergraduate students to live on-campus until they have completed at least 60 college credit hours or are 21 years of age.
Students who meet one or more of the following criteria, may apply for a housing exemption by completing the Housing Exemption Form.
- Living with parents or legal guardians in their primary residence and commuting a short distance to campus;
- Living with a grandparent, married brother/sister, aunt/uncle in their primary residence and commuting a short distance to campus;
- Veteran with two years active duty;
- Other extenuating circumstances.
Once an exemption request has been received, it will be evaluated by University Housing and a decision will be sent to the student’s SAU email address.
Note: Living in a parent or guardian’s secondary or non-primary residence (such as a rental unit) does not constitute living with a parent or guardian in their primary residence and requested exemptions will not be approved. In addition, being exempted from the housing requirements, after moving in or activating the student meal plan, does not void the SAU Housing contract and/or payment obligations.
The following are not acceptable reasons for exemption:
- Roommate conflict
- Signed off-campus lease
- Room preference not available during the housing selection process
*Students applying for a housing exemption should first check with the Office of Financial Aid to determine if living off-campus will affect scholarships, tuition waivers, or other financial aid.
*All University athletes are required to live on-campus, even if they meet exemption qualifications.