The Fincher Hall Project
- The goal of the Fincher Hall Project is to provide new materials and equipment for the library at the Arkansas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired (ASBVI).
- The ASBVI is located in Little Rock, Arkansas and serves students birth through 21 years old. http://www.arkansasschoolfortheblind.org/
- Fincher Hall is a residence hall for freshmen at Southern Arkansas University. In addition to university studies, students in Fincher focus on leadership development and service learning.
- The SAU graduate level Library and Media Information Specialist (LMIS) program brings students to campus every summer. These librarians live in Fincher Hall during their four weeks of coursework.
- ASBVI students are missing out on the new technologies that would allow them access to library holdings.
- Much of what is currently in the library hasn’t been changed in over 15 years.
- During the 2010-2011 school year Fincher Hall students will conduct a library renewal campaign on behalf of the ASBVI.
- During the summer of 2011, LMIS graduate students will spend 10 weeks updating the ASBVI library: evaluating current materials; discarding worn and out-of date materials; evaluating the use of space to make materials more accessible to students; recommending books and new technologies to be purchased.
ASBVI staff will use funds raised by the Project to update the library.