Accessing the Form
- Form 1098-T Instructions [pdf]
- Social Security Number
Changes to the social security number on file must be received by December 1. Instructions are available to assist you.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: What is the IRS Form 1098-T?
A: The Form 1098-T is a university statement issued to certain students. It provides the total dollar amount paid to your student account for what is referred to as qualified tuition and related expenses in a single tax year.
- Q: When will I receive my Form 1098-T?
A: Your Form 1098-T will be available to you electronically on or before January 31 on your SAU Campus Connect account. A copy will also be emailed to your official school email address.
- Q: What is included in Box 1?
A: The amount in Box 1 represents amounts paid for qualified tuition and related expenses.
– If a tuition waiver has been posted to your account, that amount is deducted from the total amount of qualified tuition and related expenses that were paid and reported in Box 1.
- Q: Why is there a distinction between amounts billed and amounts paid?
A: Institutions are allowed to report either amounts paid or amounts billed. When you are determining your eligibility for education related tax credits and deductions, you will need to report amounts paid (not billed) for qualified education and related expenses. Therefore, SAU has elected to report amounts paid to assist you in your personal tax preparation.
- Q: What is included in Box 5?
A: The amount in Box 5 represents the total scholarships and aid that you received during the calendar year.
- Q: Why didn’t I receive a Form 1098-T?
A: If the total aid you received during the calendar year (Box 5) exceeds the qualified tuition and related expenses paid (Box 1), you will not receive a Form 1098-T.
- Q: What semesters are included in my Form 1098-T?
A: Charges that are posted to your student account during the calendar year are included in your Form 1098-T. This may vary from your total semester charges due to the timing of charges being posted to your student account.
- Q: What if my tax accountant is requesting different information?
A: A full listing of charges can be found on your Campus Connect account. Campus Connect > Account Balance > Select Term > Print (icon in top right corner). In order to facilitate preregistration, your campus connect account history will be available online until March 15
- Q: Having trouble accessing your Form 1098-T?
A: Please email 1098Thelp@saumag.edu
- Q: Don’t understand you are supposed to do with this Form 1098-T?
A: We are unable to provide tax advice. For guidance, please consult your tax professional or relevant IRS guidelines.