Biology (BS) Plan II
Professional 3+2 Program
Upon request, SAU will confer the baccalaureate (BS) degree with a major in Biology – Professional on students who successfully fulfill the following requirements:
1) Complete 90 semester hours of course work (30 semester hours earned prior to clinical/professional training must be taken at the Magnolia campus and 12 must be at 3000-4000 level courses); 2) Complete 30 hours or equivalent with official transcript from clinical/professional program on file with the SAU Registrar’s Office of coursework in an approved accredited professional school, and 3) who satisfy the other requirements for graduation. Students awarded this degree are not eligible to graduate with honors.
University Requirement -2 hours
GSTD 1002 Freshman Seminar
General Education – 24 hours (Mathematics, natural science and physical science courses are included in the major.)
Biology – 27 hours
BIOL 1203/1201 Principles of Biology I/Lab
BIOL 1213/1211 Principles of Biology II
BIOL 2403 Medical Terminology
BIOL 3032/3022 General Microbiology/Lab
BIOL 3033/3031 Genetics/Lab
BIOL 3043 Cell Biology
BIOL 3703/3701 Vertebrate Physiology/Lab
SCI 3101 Pre-Health Colloquium
Chemistry – 20 hours
CHEM 1023/1021 University Chemistry I/Lab
CHEM 1123/1121 University Chemistry II/Lab
CHEM 3003/3001 Organic Chemistry I/Lab
CHEM 3103/3101 Organic Chemistry II/Lab
CHEM 3073/3071 Biochemistry I/Lab
Mathematics – 10-11 hours
MATH 1023 College Algebra
MATH 1033 Plane Trigonometry
MATH 1525 Calculus I
MATH 1045 Pre-Calculus Mathematics
MATH 1525 Calculus I
Physics – 8 hours
PHYS 2003/2001 College Physics I/Lab
PHYS 2103/2101 College Physics II/Lab
PHYS 2203/2201 University Physics I/Lab
PHYS 2213/2211 University Physics II/Lab
Clinical/Professional Program – 30 hours
30 semester hours or equivalent electives in approved accredited professional school
No minor is required in this plan.
The 3+2 program option is for students with 2 years of credits from a professional clinical/program to obtain an accelerated BS in Biological Sciences in 3 years.
- Our graduates effectively communicate scientific knowledge.
- Our graduates have the knowledge to make informed and ethical scientific decisions.
- Our graduates think critically and creatively to analyze and solve scientific problems.
- Our graduates demonstrate the information literacy required for scientific study.
- Our graduates possess the knowledge and skill sets in biology to be successful.