Southern Arkansas University in Magnolia offers the only engineering program in the southern half of Arkansas with its Bachelors of Science in Engineering degree program. SAU’s program offers a balanced and strong engineering curriculum that emphasizes solving engineering problems and obtaining practical experience through internship opportunities. Small class sizes and hands-on experiences ensure our students learn the theories by having practical involvement during laboratory classes as well as with regional industry.
The goal of our engineering options is to prepare students for careers in the field of engineering that will serve the industries in southern Arkansas as well as the nation. Many of our graduates choose to pursue a Ph.D. in advanced engineering or advanced physics.
Internships and Hands-on Experience
SAU students have the opportunity to participate in undergraduate research during their studies. Students can perform collaborative research on a national level as well, including summer programs at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in Berkeley, California. SAU’s laboratories are equipped with state of the art instruments with modern data acquisition systems.
The goal of the SAU Engineering program is to prepare our students for careers in engineering that will serve industry in Magnolia, Arkansas and the region. Our graduates may also continue their education in advanced engineering programs in universities around the nation. Currently, SAU alumni are working towards earning their Ph.D. degrees at esteemed research universities.
Engineering Internship Coordinator: Dr. Mahbub Ahmed
Engineering and Industrial Technology Students: All engineering students should meet with Dr. Ahmed to discuss internships for engineering. Additionally please contact Dr. Ahmed for engineering queries and list opportunities
Employer / Internships: Please contact Dr. Ahmed if you are interested in collaborating on internships with SAU Engineering
Engineering Program Educational Objectives
Within three to five years of graduation, after obtaining a four year general engineering degree from Southern Arkansas University, graduates should:
- Apply the fundamental knowledge of engineering design skills and problem solving skills to advance professionally and intellectually in their careers beyond the entry level in the field of engineering,
- Be effective citizens and contributors to free and democratic society through the use of technical, ethical, social, leadership, and communication skills, and
- Be life-long learners by engaging themselves in professional activities in the field of engineering
Departmental Learning Goals
- Our graduates effectively communicate scientific knowledge.
- Our graduates have the knowledge to make informed and ethical scientific decisions.
- Our graduates utilize appropriate quantitative skills in making decisions.
- Our graduates demonstrate the information literacy required for scientific study.
- Our graduates possess the knowledge and skills in engineering and the physical sciences to be successful.