Career Services

Why Engineering Worked for Me

Major College Thoughts

As a first-generation college student, choosing my major would prove to be the most daunting task of beginning college, and much harder than just selecting the college that cost the least after the scholarship I qualified for was factored in. This boiled down to more about what I liked and thought could make a successful career for me in the future. After looking internally at myself, I didn’t know what I liked outside of football, and I was most certainly not going to be a professional or even college athlete. Instead, I was going to have to look at what I liked, and also what meant a lot to me. 

Things like: 

• Job security

• The ability to take care of my family

• Do I have to work alone or am I alright in a group setting?

• Do I need recognition from my employer?

• Do I want someday to be able to climb the company ladder or am I alright being on the lower end of the work ladder?

• Do I have the characteristics to do this career or would it be a disservice to those in the field already?

All of these things and more are what you must consider when looking at all of the choices for majors at SAU, and eventually, your career choice.

Choices to be Made

I spent a lot of time introspecting during my senior year of high school, thinking about the criteria I mentioned. I decided what mattered enough to me to make a significant effect on my career and major choice were job security, financial security, and making sure I didn’t go somewhere that my character wouldn’t allow me to succeed. 

One thing I considered was being a football coach and teacher, which would lead me to dive into kinesiology and education. I, however, didn’t think I would have the patience to be a teacher and didn’t have a passion for the teaching side of that. If I had chosen to do that, I would be doing a disservice to other teachers by lowering the standard that teachers should be held to, as well as the image of teachers to students and the outside world.

Another alternative to me was skipping college and choosing to become a welder, but I also knew that I would prefer to not have to work so many hours per week in the future when I had a family; it’s also a very volatile job market, as many welding jobs are constantly experiencing layoffs and cutbacks.

More Questions than Before

After considering the options that I liked on the surface and coming to terms with the goals that I had for my career, I wasn’t anywhere closer to deciding on a major. The reason that I wasn’t any closer was that I wasn’t looking deep enough or doing my due diligence about choosing my major. I was simply looking at the surface of the major and career. 

For instance, I had no idea what an engineer was, but all I would say was, “I don’t think that’s what I wanna do when asked about that.” I was not giving myself the best chance to succeed by relying on my own intuition with no research into the fields. After a serious talk with one of my favorite teachers in high school, I realized what an engineer actually was, and saw that the career fit exactly what I wanted. There’s always a need for engineers and is, at least at the time of my graduating high school, one of the highest average paying careers for only needing a bachelor’s degree.

Decision Time

Overall, selecting my major was much more of an internal look at myself, and it’s a hard thing to do at seventeen or eighteen years old. It’s taking a real look at yourself and being completely honest because you are the only person who can make these kinds of choices for yourself. The good thing about making the choice at seventeen or eighteen years old is that you’re still so young that it can change and not set you back in life. If you get to college and decide that you didn’t know what you wanted or how you wanted your life to go, then it’s the absolute right time to correct that. Take the time and look at yourself again, a little bit harder this time, and decide on what you want. Then do the research to see what kind of career fits those goals and what major that ties to.

Allen Dudley

Allen Dudley

Hello! I am Allen Dudley. I am currently serving a year-long fellowship with Americorps VISTA+SAU in Southern Arkansas University’s Career Services office. This summer, 2022, I will be graduating with my Bachelor’s of Science in Engineering, from SAU as well. I am considering re-signing for another year of service with Americorps VISTA+SAU after this term is up, or immediately pursuing a career in either Ministry or Engineering. I have loved my time at SAU, from my fellow students, professors, supervisors I’ve had, and the opportunities it’s given me!

Recent Posts
Career Readiness

Networking- Ayden Sharp

I have been an athlete all my life and have met many great, inspiring mentors throughout that time. Little did I know that is how

Advice

Time Managment

The importance of Time Management High school may not prepare you for the stress and busyness that comes along with a college schedule. Adjusting to

Career Competency

Professional Muleriders

Be sure to check out our Competent Muleriders blog post to see an introduction to all of our career competencies. Also, keep an eye out

Major

Why I Chose to Change my Major

Personal Testimonies: Michael: When I first started college, I was pursuing a degree that was business related. I was going this route because my family

Southern Arkansas University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission. All Rights Reserved.
100 E. University, Magnolia, Arkansas 71753-5000 Telephone: (870) 235-4000
Online Privacy