The Kadohadacho Chapter of the Arkansas Archeological Society will hold a meeting at 1 PM on September 16, 2017 to discuss organizational changes to the Chapter. The meeting will be at the Southern Arkansas University Research Station in the Bruce Building, Room 103. You are invited to participate in this meeting as we discuss officer elections, rewriting bylaws, changing the chapter’s name, and plan for the future of the organization. Your input is much appreciated!
The Arkansas Archeological Society is reviewing the organization of its chapters and has requested that we make some updates. Topics to be discussed at the meeting will include:
- Statewide and Local Membership to Society: It is required that at least 10 Chapter members also be paid members of the Arkansas Archeological Society.
- Chapter Membership: We may need a formal membership list and discuss dues.
- Mission Statement Rewrite: The mission statement currently states that “The purpose of this organization is to unite those persons in the area who are interested in the archeology of Arkansas and to encourage their interest and participation in the scientific investigation, study, and interpretation of Indian remains”. This was written several decades ago and since then, our research focus has branched out from solely studying Indian remains.
- Bylaw Rewrite: We need an updated version of bylaws. Our current President, Clay Newton, has written a rough draft which can be seen here- Rough draft_SouthWestChapterAAS.
- Officer Elections: It is time to elect/re-elect officers. We will take nominations and decide a time to hold the elections.
- Name Change: We will discuss the possibility of changing the name of the “Kadohadacho Chapter” and take suggestions for a replacement. Similar to the reasoning for rewriting the mission statement, we want the name of our chapter to reflect the broad research foci in this region.
Again, this meeting will take place Saturday, September 16th at 1 PM.