More than 160 students from the region matched wits Saturday, March 2, 2013, at the Arkansas Council of Teachers of Mathematics (ACTM) competition hosted annually at Southern Arkansas University.
“This event served a great opportunity to recognize the academic achievement for mathematics students,” said Dr. Khalil Dajani, chair of the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at SAU. “It provided SAU a chance to introduce the department to potential students.” Dajani welcomed the young mathematicians at the awards ceremony and told them about the exciting things his department has on the horizon at SAU, such as the exciting computer gaming major slated to begin in the fall of 2013.
Faculty from the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science – Dr. Deborah Kincaid (ACTM Regional Director), Dr. Khalil Dajani, Dr. Hasan Shehada, Dr. Hong Cheng, Dr. Troy Henson, Beth McDowell and Katie Moe – proctored and graded the competitors’ exams.
Kincaid announced the award winners for first, second, and third from the various mathematics disciplines, including Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, Trigonometry/Pre-calculus, Calculus and Probability and Statistics. Dajani presented the winners with trophies, and each of this region’s award-winners also earned an invitation to compete in the Arkansas statewide competitions on April 27, 2013.
Students from Arkansas High School, Barton Junior High School, El Dorado High School, Magnolia High School, Magnolia Junior High School, North Heights Junior High School and Smackover High School competed, and award winners were as follows:
- First place: Amber Yates/El Dorado High
- Second place: Noah Waller/El Dorado High
- Third place: Courtlynn Collins/ Magnolia Junior High
- First place: Jacob Pierce/Arkansas High
- Second place tie: Seth Cook/Magnolia High
- Second place tie: Gregory Ballard/El Dorado High
- First place: Zachary Downum/El Dorado High
- Second place: Will Reed /Arkansas High
- Third place: Adam Gianelloni/Magnolia High
- First place: Ty Mullens/Smackover High
- Second place: Mallory Puron/Smackover High
- Third place: Mason Rostollan/Arkansas High
- First place: Cameron Ytzen/Arkansas High
- Second place: Maliek Osborne/Arkansas High
- Third place: Will Gloster/Arkansas High
- First place: Martin Boerwinkle/Barton Junior High
- Second place: Sergey Kerachenets/Barton Junior High
- Third place: Nathan Oliver/Barton Junior High