Spring 2021 Commencement
Date and Location
Southern Arkansas University’s Spring 2021 commencement ceremonies will be held on Friday, April 30th, at Wilkins Stadium. Three ceremonies will be held at the following times:
- 8:30 a.m. Rankin College of Business and College of Science & Engineering (Associates and Bachelors)
- 11:00 a.m. College of Education & Human Performance and College of Liberal & Performing Arts (Associates and Bachelors)
- 1:00 p.m. School of Graduate Studies (Masters)
Candidates should arrive for check-in at the SAU tent to the east of Wilkins Stadium (behind the visitors’ bleachers) no later than one hour before their ceremony start time.
All graduation candidates’ names will be read aloud during their ceremonies, and the commencement ceremonies will also be streamed live on the SAU Facebook page.
While we will do everything possible to conduct all commencement ceremonies as scheduled, please be aware that inclement weather may cause a delay or, in extreme cases, a cancellation of one or more ceremonies.
Guests and Seating
There will be no guest limits or tickets required for guests to attend the commencement ceremonies.
Face coverings must be worn by every attendee over the age of 10 to enter, exit, and move within the stadium.
Guests should enter the stadium through the home (west side) entrance gate.
Seating will be designed for social distancing, and guests are asked to please comply with marked areas.
Guests are encouraged to dress for outdoor temperatures and to bring plenty of water to hydrate. Temperatures can vary significantly during this time of year, so it would be a good idea to check the weather forecast prior to the ceremony.
As the health of those around us is of utmost concern, guests are asked to not scream or yell to prevent potential viral spread. Those who yell may be asked to leave the stadium.
A first aid station will be available for any health-related issues during the ceremony.
Graduation regalia (caps and gowns, plus hoods for graduate students) will be available to pick up at the SAU Bookstore during regular business hours beginning in mid-April.
Regalia may also be picked up at the check-in tent east of the stadium (behind the visitors’ bleachers) beginning one hour before each ceremony.
If you would prefer to receive your regalia by mail, please contact the bookstore at (870) 235-4050. The cost of shipping is $7.50.
All graduates must wear SAU face coverings during the processional and recessional. Face coverings will be available at the check-in tent for any graduates who do not already possess them.
To protect the stadium turf surface from damage, high-heeled shoes may NOT be worn. Students who arrive in high-heeled shoes (including boots) will be asked to change or remove their footwear before they are allowed to join the processional.
Decorated caps are not allowed.
Only University-approved accessories, such as academic cords, stoles, and medallions from within academic disciplines, may be worn over regalia. Graduates will be asked to remove any unauthorized items.
Grisham Photography will take professional pictures during the ceremony.
An envelope included in the regalia bag will provide instructions about purchasing these photographs.
Photography order envelopes can also be picked up and dropped off at the check-in tent before the ceremony, or orders can be made by contacting Grisham Photography directly at (870) 235-1380.
Diplomas for spring graduates will be mailed to the address provided on your graduation application no later than 45 days after commencement.
If this address is not correct, please send an update to firstname.lastname@example.org to prevent any delay in receiving your diploma.
How to Apply for Graduation
Undergraduate Students (Associate’s and Bachelor’s degrees)
- Log in to mySAU and click on “Campus Connect” tab in the top menu.
- Acknowledge Student Accounts message.
- Navigate to the “Forms” tab (above your student photo) and click “Apply for Graduation.”
- Choose term of expected graduation and click “Display Form.”
- Complete all required fields, click “Continue” to add your degree information, then click “Finish” to submit.
- Save email verification of your application for your records. If you do not receive a verification email, please contact the Office of the Registrar at email@example.com to ensure your application was received.
- Contact your advisor to request that they complete an updated degree audit form if they have not already done so.
Graduate Students (Master’s degrees and Graduate Certificates)