Career Services

Time Managment

The importance of Time Management

High school may not prepare you for the stress and busyness that comes along with a college schedule. Adjusting to new surroundings, attending classes, balancing a social life, studying for exams, completing homework, and having a part-time job are all a part of what a college student faces. It’s no wonder college students experience burnout! Sometimes you may wish there were more hours in a day. Since we know that isn’t going to happen, the solution is to learn how to manage your time and get the most out of your college experience. Here are a few effective time management tips.

Stay Organized

Keeping your schoolwork organized can be a huge factor in saving time. Keep separate binders or folders for each class. Use a planner or time management app to help you keep track of due dates and exams. Also, keep your work area clear so that you can locate everything.

Create a routine!

Creating and keeping a routine can help reduce uncertainty. Developing a routine at the beginning of the semester can help you adjust to it early.

Keep yourself healthy.

This may not seem important to time management, but your health can play a huge role in how you manage your time. Practicing regular exercise can help keep your energy levels up and can help keep your mind more engaged.  Getting enough sleep at night can help increase your alertness and decrease stress levels.

Be Realistic and flexible.

Sometimes circumstances will arise, and you simply cannot get to everything you set out do in each day. Always be patient with yourself when things don’t go as planned. Be realistic with your calendar and priorities.

Time management is an important skill that is needed in college. Take the advice of students who have been there. See if you can calm that chaotic schedule for a stress-free college degree. 

DeRhonda McGlothon

DeRhonda McGlothon

Hi, my name is DeRhonda McGlothon. I am currently serving as a year-long fellow with Americorps VISTA+SAU in the Career Services Office. I am currently obtaining my Master's in clinical and mental health counseling. Once I graduate, I would like to start a career as a counselor with foster children.

Recent Posts
Career Readiness

Networking- Ayden Sharp

I have been an athlete all my life and have met many great, inspiring mentors throughout that time. Little did I know that is how

Advice

Time Managment

The importance of Time Management High school may not prepare you for the stress and busyness that comes along with a college schedule. Adjusting to

Career Competency

Professional Muleriders

Be sure to check out our Competent Muleriders blog post to see an introduction to all of our career competencies. Also, keep an eye out

Southern Arkansas University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission. All Rights Reserved.
100 E. University, Magnolia, Arkansas 71753-5000 Telephone: (870) 235-4000
Online Privacy