The ACCUPLACER is an integrated system of computer-adaptive assessments designed to evaluate students’ skills in reading, writing, and mathematics. The computer-adaptive design personalizes the test for each student. Each test question determines the difficulty level of the next. Final scores are based on the number of questions answered correctly and the difficulty level of the questions answered correctly.
The Accuplacer is an untimed, computerized test used to evaluate your skills for course placement in reading, writing, and math. Since the test is untimed, you work at a pace that is comfortable for you. Testing is by appointment only. Space is limited.
Individual student score reports are available immediately after testing. Reports include student test scores, custom messages from SAU, and information about course placement based on institutional placement scores. Students wishing to take the Accuplacer for admittance to SAU should contact SAU’s Office of Admissions for approval prior to scheduling the test in our Testing Center.
On the date of the test, please bring the following:
- Ten-dollars ($10.00) per test (reading, writing, and math are $10 each, so $30 to take all three tests) payable to Southern Arkansas University. Cash, check or money order accepted.
- Photo identification
- Face Mask (Required during COVID-19 Pandemic)
Immediately after testing, you will receive a copy of your scores. Scores will be also available in the Office of Admissions the afternoon of the test. Contact the Office of Admissions regarding scores at (870) 235-4040 or (800) 332-7286. (These scores are for math, English, and/or reading placement at Southern Arkansas University.) Scores will not be given over the telephone by the Office of Testing.
Students with disabilities that require accommodations should contact the Office of Testing at least two weeks prior to the testing date.
Important: If you are more than 10 minutes late, you will be required to reschedule your test.
For more information about ACCUPLACER visit: https://accuplacer.collegeboard.org/students
ACCUPLACER TESTING WITH EXAMITY
Examity is a College Board partner and an approved online remote proctor for the ACCUPLACER. It is a secure online proctoring service that allows students to take the ACCUPLACER test when it is most convenient, 24/7/365, to help them perform at their highest level of ability. Each proctored session is $20.00 with an additional $10 per test payable to Southern Arkansas University.
Prior to Registration: Test your computer capability for test delivery. Southern Arkansas University is not responsible for personal computers. It is the responsibility of the test-taker to secure a computer that meets requirements of online proctoring services.
Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, please disable your pop-up blocker
– Desktop, Chromebook or a laptop computer (tablets and mobile devices are not supported)
– Built-in or external webcam
– Built-in or external microphone
– Built-in or external speakers
Internet Connection: An upload and download speed of at least 2Mbps
Go to https://examity.com/accuplacer-students/ to test your computer.
- Call the Test Center at (870) 235-4145 to create a voucher and make payment. SAU charges a $10.00 testing fee for each Accuplacer exam. (You will need to know your full name, address, social security number, date of birth, high school attended/attending, telephone number, and which Accuplacer test(s) you will take when you call.)
- Once a voucher is created, you will receive a remote voucher confirmation email that will include a voucher number and instructions on how to test with Examity. You will need your assigned voucher number to schedule and take an exam(s) through Examity. (Examity charges a $20 proctoring fee which is separate from SAU’s administrative fee.)
- Follow the instructions provided at examity.com/accuplacer/ and become comfortable with how the online proctoring program operates.
Prior to your Proctored Session
- You will need a computer, a web-cam, and a high speed Internet connection to take the virtual placement test. (see above) No additional software is required prior to your test session appointment. The live online proctor will provide the necessary software to effectively proctor your test session remotely. After the session is complete, your proctor will conclude the test session and remove any remote proctoring software from your workstation.
- Be sure to check your computer system when you register or schedule your first proctored exam. We also recommend you test your computer 4 hours prior to any exams to be sure there will be no technical problems.
- Prior to your test session, establish a tidy and undisturbed environment where you can conduct the test session. You will not be allowed to interact with anyone except for the remote proctor during this time. Any interruptions may require the remote proctor to immediately suspend the test and terminate the test session.
Live Online Proctoring – Student Expectations
- The student’s desk/testing area must be clear of any papers, folders, books, cell phones, and electronic equipment. Any whiteboards or blackboards must be erased or covered.
- Any second monitors must be disabled and turned facing away from the student.
- Any bluetooth-enabled devices must be disabled.
- Any allowed items must be communicated in advance to the proctor and the student must display them during the room scan. (Ex: Notes, calculators, graphing tools, formulas, etc.)
- The student is not allowed to talk or receive assistance from other people during the exam.
- Prior to starting the exam, the student must close out any open applications including web pages, mail, and chat or IM programs.
- The student must comply with all proctor instructions for the live online proctored exam.
- If the proctor detects any aberrant behavior (behavior not in line with the code of ethics/integrity policies/Live Online Proctoring Expectations), the proctor will suspend the exam and refer the student back to the institution.