- Anatomy and Physiology I & II
- Fundamentals of Nursing
- Medical/Surgical Nursing
- Pharmacology I & II
- Foundations of Community Health Nursing
- Leadership & Management in Nursing Practice
- Techniques of Health Assessment
Major in Nursing – (RN to BSN)
University Requirement – 2 hours
GSTD 1002 Freshman Seminar
General Education* – 27 hours(Sciencecourses are included in the major.) PHIL 2403 Introduction to Philosophy and PSYC 2003 General Psychology are required.
Biological Science – 12 hours
BIOL 2063/2061 Anatomy & Physiology I/Lab
BIOL 2073/2071 Anatomy & Physiology II/Lab
BIOL 3032/3022 General Microbiology/Lab
BIOL 3612/3602 Microbiology for Nursing and Allied Health/Lab
Physical Science – 4 hours
CHEM 1013/1011 College Chemistry I/Lab
CHEM 1023/1021 University Chemistry I/Lab
Computer Science – 3 hours
CSCI 1053 Computer Concepts and Applications for Allied Health
CSCI 1102/1101 Introduction to Computing/Lab
Other Requirements – 11 hours
SOC 3183 Statistics
SPCH 1113 Introduction to Public Speaking
SOC 3033 Sociology of Marriage and Family
SOC 3013 Social Problems
SOC 4073 Social Gerontology
2 hour upper level elective
Nursing Curriculum – 64 hours
NURS 1207 Fundamentals of Nursing**++
NURS 1217 Women’s Health and Care of the Neonate**++
NURS 2017 Medical/Surgical Nursing I++
NURS 2143 Care of the Child
NURS 2207 Medical/Surgical Nursing II++
NURS 2223 Mental Health Nursing
NURS 2401 Pharmacology I
NURS 2411 Pharmacology II
NURS 3001 Orientation for On-Line RN – BSN Completion Program
NURS 3003 Health Assessment
NURS 3013 Issues and Trends in Nursing
NURS 3035 Community Health Nursing++
NURS 3043 Introduction to Nursing Research
NURS 3053 The Business of Health Care
NURS 3502 Informatics Nursing
NURS 4015 Leadership and Management++
NURS 4113 Evidence Based Nursing
**NURS 1417 LPN to RN Transition satisfies requirement for NURS 1207 and NURS 1217
++ Courses with a clinical component
To meet admission requirements for the Department of Nursing, the applicant must:
- Be admitted to SAU with regular or conditional admission status and/or maintain a cumulative 2.00 GPA at SAU.
- Be a graduate from a NLNAC accredited associate degree program or diploma program.
- Students are encouraged to complete all general education requirements prior to enrolling in upper division nursing courses.
- Students who have completed SPCH 1113: Introduction to Speech, PHIL 2403: Introduction to Philosophy; and SOC 3183: Statistics may be allowed to enroll in the upper division nursing courses.
- Have transcripts evaluated by nursing faculty if transferring from another college or university. NOTE: SAU’s Department of Nursing follows the Arkansas Nursing Articulation Model for transfer credits in nursing; however, courses taken at community colleges are not counted as part of the junior/senior hours required for graduation at SAU.
- Possess an unencumbered state license to practice in the state in which the clinical experiences will be obtained.
- Have proof of Hepatitis B vaccination, TB screening, and current American Heart Association CPR certification.
- To comply with mandates from clinical agencies utilized by the SAU Department of Nursing, students enrolled in all nursing programs are required at the initial semester of enrollment and yearly thereafter to have criminal background checks, driving history record checks, and urine drug screens in order to remain enrolled in any nursing course. All screenings are conducted at the expense of the individual student. More information and pricing as well as student instructions [pdf] are available.
- Realize if an injury occurs in the clinical setting, the student is responsible for all applicable cost related to the injury. Students are strongly encouraged to obtain health insurance.
- Submit a completed Department of Nursing application according to the deadlines posted on the nursing website.
- Application forms may be obtained from the Nursing Department or you can complete the online application form.
- Mail application and a copy of all unofficial transcripts to:
Southern Arkansas University Department of Nursing
Attention: RN-BSN Program Application
P.O. Box 9406
Magnolia, AR 71754-9406
Or deliver to Wharton Nursing, room 201A.
Our missionThe mission of the Department of Nursing is to provide students with opportunities for intellectual growth, cultivation of skills for critical thinking, and the communication and skill development for career preparation in a global environment. The Department of Nursing is committed to meeting regional health care needs by preparing graduates who demonstrate competency as health care practitioners.
Transfer Student PolicyStudents previously enrolled in another RN to BSN Completion nursing program must forward a letter requesting transfer and attach copies of all unofficial college transcripts. Students who are requesting transfer from another nursing program are also required to provide a letter from the program dean/chair/director of eligibility to reenter their previous nursing program in order to be eligible for consideration in the SAU nursing program. Transfer credit will be considered on an individual basis.
case, manager, midwife, director, specialist, clinical, staff, educator, practitioner, health, care