The music curriculum prepares students to become proficient musicians, music educators, and capable vocalists and instrumentalists who are able to demonstrate the performance skills and knowledge for sound musicianship. This specialization is for students who are interested in both music and business. The required business courses are equivalent to a business minor.
- Our graduates demonstrate an understanding of the common elements and organizational patterns of music and possess the ability to employ them in aural, verbal, written and visual analysis.
- Our graduates demonstrate basic knowledge of music history, diverse performing traditions and repertoires through the present time.
- Our graduates demonstrate the ability to synthesize theoretical concepts and historical perspectives in arranging and adapting musical scores, and in rudimentary composing and improvising.
- Our graduates use computer and internet applications to assist in learning theoretical concepts as well as arranging and performing skills.
- Our graduates possess knowledge and skills in music.
A sample of courses included in the major:
- Fundamentals of Music Theory
- Choral Conducting
- Orchestration and Arranging
- Large Music Ensemble
- Principles of Accounting
- Principles of Marketing
Major in Performing Arts:
Music with Studies in Business (BFA)
University Requirement – 2 hours
GSTD 1002 Freshman Seminar
General Education – 29 hours (ENGL 2213 World Literature I or ENGL 2223 World Literature II is required. FIN 2003 Personal Finance is required.). Six hours of general education humanities are included in the major.
BFA Core Requirements – 9 hours
THEA 2003 Theatre Appreciation
Select 3 hours from:
ART 2013 Art Appreciation
HUM 2003 Film Appreciation
Select 3 hours from:
MULI 1013 Introduction to Music
MUS 2013 Music Appreciation
Musical Literature – 6 hours
MULI 4003 History of Music I
MULI 4103 History of Music II
Music Theory – 18-21 hours
MUTH 1093 Fundamentals of Music Theory*
MUTH 1003 Written Theory I
MUTH 1011 Applied Theory I
MUTH 1103 Written Theory II
MUTH 1111 Applied Theory II
MUTH 2003 Written Theory III
MUTH 2011 Applied Theory III
MUTH 2103 Written Theory IV
MUTH 2111 Applied Theory IV
MUTH 3102 Form and Analysis
*Exemption with exam. Fundamentals of Music (MUTH 1093) taken in the first semester of study, is a remedial course. Credit for the course does not count towards the major requirements.
Applied Music and Ensemble – 30 hours
Applied Major Instrument (14 hours)
Applied Minor Instrument** (4 hours)
Large Music Ensemble (8 hours)
Small Music Ensemble (4 hours)
**Denotes meeting a piano proficiency requirement which can be fulfilled by passing the proficiency
exam. However, majors need to take four hours of either piano or another instrument.
Other Requirements – 11 hours
MUED 1000 Concert and Recital Attendance (six semesters)
MUED 3202 Orchestration and Arranging
7 hours of upper-level music electives
Select 2 hours from:
MUED 3002 Choral Conducting
MUED 3102 Instrumental Conducting
Business Requirements – 21 hours
ACCT 2003 Principles of Accounting I
ACCT 2103 Principles of Accounting II
ECON 2103 Principles of Microeconomics
GBUS 2003 Legal Environment of Business
FIN 3003 Financial Management
MGMT 3023 Organizational Theory and Behavior
MKTG 3033 Principles of Marketing