at Southern Arkansas University
Our programs are routinely recognized as the best value programs nationally. SAU offers out-of-state tuition waivers to students from Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Tennessee.
About College Counseling and Student Affairs
|Research (3 credit hours)|
|COUN 6083||Research and Program Evaluation|
|Core Courses (27 credit hours)|
|COUN 6403||Introduction to the Counseling Profession|
|COUN 6413||Ethical, Legal and Professional Issues in Counseling|
|COUN 6423||Counseling Theories|
|COUN 6433||Basic Counseling Skills|
|COUN 6443||Group Counseling|
|COUN 6453||Human Development for Helping Professionals|
|COUN 6463||Career Counseling: Theory and Practice|
|COUN 6473||Counseling in a Diverse Society|
|COUN 6483||Assessment Procedures for Counselors|
|College Counseling and Student Affairs
(12 credit hours)
|COUN 6843||Introduction to Student Affairs in Higher Education|
|COUN 6853||Student Affairs Theory and Practice|
|COUN 6873||Organization and Administration of Student Affairs Services|
|COUN 6943||Counseling in Higher Education|
|Field Experience (9 credit hours)|
|COUN 6493||Practicum in Counseling|
|COUN 6883||Internship I in College Counseling & Student Affairs|
|COUN 6893||Internship II in College Counseling & Student Affairs|
College Counseling and Student Affairs Certificate
The Graduate Certificate in College Counseling and Student Affairs adds coursework aligned with CACREP standards to those with a Clinical and Mental Health Counseling program that desire to add College Counseling and Student Affairs
Required Coursework (12 hours)
- COUN 6843 Introduction to Student Affairs in Higher Education
- COUN 6853 Student Affairs Theory and Practice
- COUN 6873 Organization and Administration of Student Affairs Services
- COUN 6943 Counseling in Higher Education
|Categories:||Certificate / Endorsement, Graduate|
|Completion Time:||3 years *|
* Based on 2 classes per semester including summer
The purpose of the M.Ed. in College Counseling and Student Affairs is to prepare individuals for professional counseling and administrative positions in student services departments at a college or university. Potential places of employment for graduates of this program include; residence life and student housing, admissions and student orientation, financial aid, college unions, student activities, recreational sports, individual and group advising, career services, general student services, and other student and academic support programs. The curricular focus emphasizes student development theory and practice, the development of leadership management and organizational development skills, and practical aspects of practice (practicum and internship).
Applicants to the M.Ed. in College Counseling and Student Affairs are required to submit a letter of application prior to admission to the program.
Practicum and Internship
- Practicum Supervision Agreement [doc]
- Internship Supervision Agreement [doc]
- Application for Supervised INTERNSHIP in Counseling [doc]
- Application for Supervised PRACTICUM in Counseling [doc]
- SAU Practicum Handbook [doc]
- SAU Internship Handbook [doc]
- Our graduates can communicate effectively.
- Our graduates are prepared to be personally and socially responsible citizens.
- Our graduates can think critically, solve problems, and make informed decisions.
- Our graduates can use technology effectively in their fields.
- Our graduates have content knowledge in their chosen fields and the necessary skills to be successful.
Southern Arkansas University offers personalized tour visits, faculty and staff who care about student success, and a caring campus community. SAU also offers traditional and unique academic degree programs that are ranked nationally for quality and affordability.
Nestled in a quiet and beautiful part of south Arkansas, SAU is a great place to call home and to study a broad range of academic programs, including some unique offerings to the state and region. Along with boasting a complete college experience on campus, the University is a short drive from outdoor activities and is central to many regional hubs, such as Texarkana, Shreveport, Little Rock, etc.
Established in 1909, SAU has built on its dedication to student achievement and continues to grow, both on campus and online, with more than 80 degrees in four distinct colleges and the School of Graduate Studies.