|Completion Time:||2 years *|
|Cost Per Year:||In state: $5,478 / Out of State: $7,706|
|Complete Program Cost:||In state: $10,956 / Out of State: $15,411|
* Based on 2 classes per semester including summer
SAU’s M. Ed. in Higher, Adult, and Lifelong Education (HALE) is intended for:
- individuals seeking or occupying an advance in administrative or management positions in a variety of educational settings;
- faculty and other educators who seek to improve their adult teaching skills;
- other individuals who work with adults in a variety businesses or social services agencies.
The M. Ed. HALE degree program includes coursework in foundations, curriculum and teaching (including distance learning), organization and administration, research, and electives so students can create an emphasis area to fit their career aspirations. An internship in the student’s emphasis area is required as the capstone exit experience. Students elect either higher education or adult education emphasis area; however, students may elect to take courses in both emphasis areas.
The program is comprised of 30 required hours. Students must complete 30 hours of coursework with 3 hours of internship/capstone project to complete the M. Ed. program. A student must also complete any additional college and university graduation requirements.
- Graduates will write effectively. Graduates will effectively present ideas.
- Graduates will seek solutions to educational problems.
- Graduates will consider alternative approaches to an educational problem or challenge.
- Graduates will synthesize information from many resources. Graduates will successfully use technology to solve an education problem.
- Graduates will identify and propose a solution to a HALE problem or challenge.
hale, higher ed, continuing education,
The graduate degree requires 30 credit hours for completion: 27 hours of coursework and 3 hours of internship/capstone project
Required: (6 hours)
EDUC 6003 Educational Research
HALE 6343 Higher, Adult, and Lifelong Learning Education
Required: (15-21 hours)
Select a minimum of 15 hours from the following:
HALE 6233 Distance Learning Design and Administration
HALE 6313 Budgeting and Finance in Postsecondary Education
HALE 6323 Curricular Design & Evaluation in Postsecondary Distance Learning
HALE 6353 Foundations of Distance Learning
HALE 6363 History & Philosophy of Postsecondary Education
HALE 6383 Leadership and Organization development
HALE 6393 Post-secondary Teaching
HALE 6413 Program planning and evaluation in postsecondary contexts
HALE 6423 Special Problems in Adult Education
HALE 6433 Survey of Adult Learning
HALE 6443 The College Student (COUN 6863 The American College Student)
HALE 6453 The Community College
Support Courses (optional): (6 hours)
6 hours outside of HALE may be taken with the approval of the advisor.
Required: Capstone Project (3 hours)
Three credit hours must be completed in the student’s emphasis area resulting in internship hours and a final project.
HALE 6373 HALE Internship and Capstone Project