Management, Marketing and MIS / Rankin College of Business
|Categories:||Major, Minor, Undergraduate|
Most business majors will choose a traditional field of specialization such as Marketing or Finance. However, others may wish to couple the core concepts of business with specialized skills in fields outside those of the traditional business degree. For these students, the General Business Major is a great fit. A student might, for example, earn a general business degree with a minor in music or biology.
In the first two years of a four-year business degree, students take a broad range of classes. Upper level courses include advanced business courses that are taken by all business majors and major-specific courses that allow students to specialize in their areas of interest.
- Students are encouraged to obtain internships related to their career plans.
- Students are assigned to advisors who are members of the RCB faculty to help with class scheduling, professional mentoring, and career placement.
A student with a General Business degree has the foundational skills to enter any number of entry-level management positions requiring a BBA degree or to enter an MBA program. A General Business degree coupled with a minor or a second major in another field prepares a student to serve in an administrative position in any number of for-profit or non-profit ventures.
- Student organizations like Phi Beta Lambda, ENACTUS, Emerging Entrepreneurs, the Finance and Economics Society, and the Business Student Investment Advisory Council provide opportunities for fun, leadership, and networking
- Guest lectures and workshops conducted by business professionals and recognized speakers
- Student travel both within and outside the region and the US: Recent trips included tours of financial institutions in New York and Chicago, advertising agencies in Dallas and Chicago, and Arkansas businesses like Walmart, Tyson, and J.B. Hunt and international destinations such as Costa Rica.
- The Arkansas Small Business Development and Technology Center is located on the first floor of the business building. The center offers seminars and other resources that are free to students and houses the Entrepreneurship Center.
The Rankin College of Business is AACSB certified. All upper level professors are required to hold doctorates from AACSB certified universities or to have significant professional experience in the areas in which they teach.
- Graduates from the College of Business can communicate effectively.
- Our graduates are prepared to be socially responsible citizens.
- Our graduates can think critically, solve problems, and make informed decisions.
- Our graduates can use technology effectively in their fields.
- Our graduates have content knowledge in their chosen fields and the necessary skills to be successful.
purchasing, manager, investment, account, bill, insurance, sales, agent, human, resources, employment, interviewer, collectors, retail, entrepreneur, real estate
Major in Business Administration: General Business (BBA) – 120 hours
- University General Education 35 hours
- Business Core Curriculum 54 hours
- Minor Field* 15-21 hours
- Upper-level Business Electives 6 hours
- Electives 2-8 hours
- University Requirements, GSTD 1002 2 hours
*including at least nine hours upper-level courses
Note: Business majors may not take FIN 2003 Personal Finance or ECON 2103 Principles of Microeconomics as part of their general education requirements.
Minor in General Business – 21 hours
This minor is not available for business majors.
ACCT 2003 Principles of Accounting I
ACCT 2103 Principles of Accounting II
ECON 2103 Principles of Microeconomics
FIN 3003 Financial Management
GBUS 2013 Quantitative Analysis I
MGMT 3023 Organizational Theory and Behavior
MKTG 3033 Principles of Marketing
Fire Science Management Curriculum – 21 hours
15 hours from the Arkansas Fire Academy at SAU-Tech
FS 1023 Strategies and Tactics
FS 1033 Fire Prevention
FS 2043 Fire Administration I
FS 2153 Fire Investigation I
FS 2163 Legal Aspects of Fire Service
6 hours from SAU
MGMT 4053 Human Resources Management
MGMT 4103 Total Quality Management