How do I arrange for a conference?
Most of the student writers we see during our hours come in for a walk-in conference. If one of our writing consultants is free, he or she will gladly meet with you. If not, you can wait on one of our comfortable couches, work at a computer, or peruse our resources. For a guaranteed conference time, you can schedule a conference via email, by phone, or in the Center. We also offer online conferencing, which allows you to submit your writing at your convenience and receive feedback within a timely manner.
What happens during a conference?
During a face-to-face conference, we will
- give you a form to fill out for record-keeping purposes;
- ask you questions about the writing assignment and about your goals for your writing;
- listen as you explain your needs, comments, and questions;
- read your paper, brainstorm with you about your ideas, and/or help you locate and use resources; and
- encourage you to take control of the conference and of your writing.
For an online conference, we will
- review your online submission form, including contact information, comments and concerns regarding your attached work, and any instructions for the assignment;
- read your work and respond using comments, questions, and our rubric;
- return your work and our feedback via email within the time frame listed on the submission form; and
- read your paper, brainstorm with you about your ideas, and/or help you locate and use resources.