Application for Admission to Student Teaching Block
The Student Teaching Block is a complete semester of work, which includes 15 weeks of full-time student teaching and completion of a student teaching seminar. It is recommended that no other course work be taken or completed during this semester, including correspondence course work.
Applications must be submitted to AFEL office by the following dates:
- October 15 for the following spring semester
- March 15 for the following fall semester
Applicants filing after the above deadlines should not expect to student teach the following semester.
Criteria for the Student Teaching Block
- Full admission to the Professional Education Program with no deficiencies.
- Senior status. (All major courses must be completed with a minimum grade of C prior to student teaching.)
- A minimum of one semester of residence credit at Southern Arkansas University.
- A grade point average of 3.00 or higher in (a) all course work required for the teaching major, and (b) all course work required for the specialty/support area.
- Copies of official test scores showing evidence that the Principles of Learning and Teaching or Pedagogy exam (in required areas) and the specialty area subtests of the Praxis II have been taken. Information about the Praxis II can be obtained from the academic advisor, the ADE website, Praxis website and the SAU Office of Counseling and Testing.
- Approval of the director of Admissions, Field Experience and Licensure (AFEL).