Admission to the Teacher Education Programs
Students who plan to follow teacher preparation programs must, in consultation with their advisor, submit a formal application for admission to the AFEL Office in the College of Education. Applications are usually made during the second semester of the sophomore year. All application requirements must be completed when the application is filed. Students transferring to SAU at the beginning of their junior year should apply upon entering SAU. This application is not the same as applying for admission to the University. Both applications are needed. Students must submit completed application forms to their advisor for the advisor’s recommendation. Advisor approved applications are then submitted to the AFEL office for processing and approval.
Criteria for Admission (Supporting documents are required to prove the qualifications):
- A GPA of a 3.0 or higher *
- Passing scores on a basic skills assessment not more than 6 years old at time of admission (ACT, SAT, Praxis CORE). See advisor for passing scores.
- Admission Disposition Review (if a candidate has 2 or more basic or below they must meet with the dispositions committee prior to admission for review)
- C or above in Intro to Education
- 30 hours completed
- Completed Gold form (see advisor for details)
*Conditional admission is possible in two areas: GPA or Basic Skills Test. You can only be considered for conditional admissions if you meet all other requirements. You must sign an acknowledgement of conditional admission and submit with completed gold form.
Conditional GPA: 2.7 – 2.99. After 1 semester your semester GPA must be above a 3.0. Proof of semester grades will remove the condition.
Conditional Test: You may have one outstanding test for one semester. Proof of passing outstanding test will remove the condition.
Transfer students who transfer to the University from two-year community or junior colleges must meet the requirements listed above to pursue an undergraduate major in the College of Education.
- Apply and be admitted to Southern Arkansas University (SAU Office of Admissions)
- Apply to the Teacher Education Program through AFEL Office (Usually second semester of the sophomore year)
- Fill out the an admissions Gold Form application.
- Submit the completed application form to advisor for recommendation
- Submit the advisor-approved application together with relevant supporting documents to AFEL office for approval.
- Once you are admitted, see your advisor to register for classes.