The Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS V) is used as part of the admissions process by the Department of Nursing at Southern Arkansas University.
TEAS V is a multiple-choice assessment of basic academic knowledge in reading, mathematics, science, and English and language usage. The four sections are timed for a total of 209 minutes (approximately 4 hours). The test is divided in the following manner:
Reading – 48 questions, 58 minutes
The Reading section covers paragraph comprehension, passage comprehension and inferences/conclusions.
Math – 34 questions, 51 minutes
The Math section includes whole numbers, metric conversions, fractions, decimals, algebraic equations, percentages and ratio/proportions.
Science – 54 questions, 66 minutes
The Science section includes questions about science reasoning, science knowledge, biology, chemistry, anatomy, physiology, basic physical principles and general science.
English and Language Usage –34 questions, 34 minutes
The English and Language Usage section includes questions about punctuation, grammar, and sentence structure.
How to Register
There are two options:
- Check the ATI website to register at www.atitesting.com
- Contact ATI at (800) 667-7531
- SAU Office of Counseling and Testing does NOT register students for TEAS.
Taking the TEAS-V
- Schedule four hours to complete the exam
- Arrive 30 minutes early to the test site
- Present photo ID
- The photo ID must be government issued picture ID, i.e., Driver’s License or Passport)
- The photo must be current
- The photo must bear the examinee’s signature
- The photo must include a permanent address
- Have your ATI Username and Password (www.atitesting.com – assigned when registering/paying for exam)
- Examinee may bring two writing utensils
- No calculators allowed
- Scratch paper will be provided and collected by the test center
- A 10 minute break is allowed after the mathematics section only
- Late arrivals will not be allowed to test and therefore, will forfeit his/her testing fee
Preparing for the TEAS-V
The following items are available for purchase at www.atitesting.com.
- Learning Strategies
- TEAS Pre-Test Study Manual
- TEAS Online Practice Assessments
- TEAS Transcripts