Program Admission Requirements (Must be completed PRIOR to taking courses):
- Admission to the SAU graduate school. This can be done online at www.saumag.edu/graduate. Admission to the School of Graduate Studies does not guarantee admission to the MAT program. Candidate must reach MAT admission requirements in order for completed course work to count toward completion of the MAT degree.
- A Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited college or university with official transcripts from each college/university attended. Official transcript(s) that indicate an earned major in the desired field of teaching, to be submitted to the Office of Admissions, Field Experience, and Licensure. Candidates will need 30 hours in their content for the K-12/4-12 and 7 – 12 tracks. For candidates choosing the 4-8 track 15 hours in two of the licensure areas is required. It is possible to take undergraduate coursework while taking MAT coursework to correct any deficiency in the content area in order to attain the equivalency of a major in the content area.
- An undergraduate cumulative grade point average of 2.70 or above on a 4.0 scale or a 3.0 grade point average on the last 60 hours of undergraduate coursework.
- Passing scores on the Praxis™ Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) tests in Reading(passing score = 156), Writing (passing score = 162) and Mathematics(passing score = 150), or GRE score of Verbal Reasoning 142 or higher, Quantitative Reasoning 142 or higher, and Analytical Writing 3.5 or higher. Visit www.ets.org for complete information about the Praxis series of examinations. Visit www.gre.org for complete information about the GRE series of examinations.
- Passing scores on Praxis II specialty area examinations, excluding the PLT and/or Pedagogy tests. The PLT or Pedagogy test is required for graduation.
- A successful criminal background check through www.castlebranch.com. Please contact the program director on how to complete the background check.
- An admissions application form completed and returned to the director of the program. Please contact the program director for the application form.