The Jackson Hall meeting room, in the University Club Faculty and Staff Lounge, offers a more casual meeting area with a round table and sofa. The room is named after Jackson Hall, one of two dormitories built in 1910 on what was called “Aggie Hill.” Jackson Hall sat on the east side of Old Main (the classroom and administrative building); on the west was its smaller twin, Holt Hall. Jackson Hall was named for the first dean of women at the Third District Agricultural School at Magnolia. Students soon nicknamed their school TDAS. Laura Jackson lived with and supervised female students from 1911 – 1922.
Reservation Contact Information
Director of Reynolds Campus and Community Center
The Caraway Hall meeting room, in the University Club Faculty and Staff Lounge, allows six to sit comfortably. This room is named after Caraway Hall, one of two dormitories built in 1913 – 1914 on what was called “Aggie Hill.” Caraway Hall sat next to Jackson Hall, at the east end of the school’s original row of buildings. Originally known as the New Women’s Dorm, the building was named in 1935 for Senator Hattie W. Caraway of Arkansas, the first woman elected to the United States Senate. Caraway’s election was secured when the controversial but popular senator from Louisiana, Huey P. “the Kingfish” Long, conducted a whirlwind campaign to support her. Long and Caraway held a rally at the Magnolia courthouse square in August 1932.
The Dining Hall (not available for reservation), at the University Club Faculty and Staff Lounge, offers casual dining and conversation for SAU faculty and staff with two four-person high tables and two six-person dining tables. This room is named after the Dining Hall, built in 1913 – 1914, at the Third District Agricultural School (near the site of present-day Magale Library). This dining hall replaced a smaller one built in 1910. After the school’s first semester, increased enrollment created a need for more dormitories and a larger dining hall. The smaller building eventually became part of the physical plant and boiler room that heated the campus.
The McCrary Hall meeting room, in the University Club Faculty and Staff Lounge, offers seating for at least six on a high dining table. This room is named after McCrary Hall, one of two dormitories built in 1913 – 1914 on what was called “Aggie Hill.” McCrary Hall was next to Holt Hall, at the west end of the school’s original row of buildings. McCrary Hall’s smaller twin, Caraway Hall, was also built in 1913 – 1914 at the east end of the row. Originally known as the New Boys’ Dorm, the building was named in 1935 for Nathan C. McCrary, a member of the Board of Trustees who served from 1921 – 1934 and as its chairman from 1925 – 1934.
The Old Main meeting room, in the University Club Faculty and Staff Lounge, offers a larger group setting with seating for 10 or more around a large dining table. This room is named after “Old Main,” the nickname that students of the Third District Agricultural School gave to the institution’s classroom and administrative building. Old Main sat at the center of what students called “Aggie Hill,” where the school’s original buildings were erected in 1910. In an elaborate ceremony, Old Main’s cornerstone was laid on August 24, 1910. Hundreds of local citizens who had contributed the funds needed to locate TDAS at Magnolia watched the town band, prominent citizens, and visiting dignitaries march up “Aggie Hill.” There, Masons from the society’s local chapter placed a Bible and a brief account of the school’s origins in the cornerstone and cemented it to the building’s foundation. Old Main was a three-story brick structure with a flat roof, large windows, and a wooden interior. The large windows were necessary for ventilation in an era without air conditioning. T. M. Sanders, an architect in Little Rock, designed the building. The general contractor for construction was the Stewart and McGhee Company of Little Rock. The building’s area was 20,184 square feet. Construction costs totaled $42,319.
Holt Hall (not available for reservation) is a smaller space for coffee and conversation. The room is named after Holt Hall, one of two dormitories built in 1910 on what students called “Aggie Hill.” Holt Hall sat on the west side of Old Main (the classroom and administrative building); on the east was its larger twin, Jackson Hall. Holt Hall was named for James T. M. Holt, first chairman of the Third District Agricultural School Board of Trustees having served from 1909 – 1921. An Arkansas legislator, Holt was also was an important leader of the Farmers Union, the organization that had lobbied the legislature to establish Arkansas’s four agricultural schools.
* Denotes that this space is not available for reservation, but is available to all faculty and staff on a first come, first served basis.