- It was standing room only with around 500 in attendance for the Agriculture Center dedication on Friday, January 25, and agri student Clint Lively got a standing ovation for his speech about the future of agriculture and SAU agri. Check out the two videos produced by SAU Communications:
- Aaron Street and Michael Kornegay earned “Best of Show” honors for Mulerider Style at the 10th Annual Service Industry Advertising Awards. According to the SIAA press release, nearly 2,000 entries were evaluated by a national panel of judges. Mulerider Style got the “Gold Award” for “Special Video Production” and was one of nine coveted “Best of Show” recipients. YouTube views for Mulerider Style continue to rise. The total view count is up to more than 41,500. KATV Channel 7 has featured the award announcement on their newscast and website.
- The Blue and Gold Cafeteria has opened a new gluten-free line with a good response from students.
- The famous Punxsutawney Phil groundhog did not see his shadow on February 2, so spring is coming early this year. As you walk across campus, take every opportunity to thank Senior Gardener Marty Davis and the rest of the Physical Plant grounds crew for all of their hard work to make SAU a beautiful place to work and attract students!
- The University Village Convenience Store has a cool new offering: a Freal milkshake machine. (see photo at right)
- Yummy flavor options:
- Milkshake flavors: chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup, caramel and chocolate crunch, mint-chocolate chip, cookies and cream
- Smoothie flavors: strawberry-banana, mango, and blueberry-raspberry-pomegranate
- Iced-coffee: Frozen cappuccino and mocha
- Price is $3.79, and the Village C-Store is open to anyone on campus!
- Yummy flavor options:
- Our friendly campus is not just inviting to prospective students. In fact, one campus resident stopped traffic on East Lane Friday afternoon as she was carrying a newborn across the street and then up a tree. The mother raccoon had her adorable newborn in her mouth.
- Del Duke has accepted the position of Interim Director for Magale Library for 2013-14.
- Five student members of Sigma Tau Delta, the English Honor Society, will be presenting at the 2013 Sigma Tau Delta Convention in Portland, Oregon, over Spring Break. Clint Winters will be presenting his creative nonfiction work. Morgan Johnson and James Schlag will be reading their original poetry collections. Kody Kasper and Majesta Miles will present their original works of fiction. Drs. Sara Day and Shannin Schroeder will attend as well, with Sara on the program as a session moderator and Shannin serving as Secretary/Treasurer on the national board. This marks the twelfth consecutive Sigma Tau Delta convention where SAU students have presented.
- New hires to the Mulerider family:
- Patricia Williams – Administrative Specialist II, Physical Plant
- Jody Nations – Instructor of Accounting
- Daniel Gallegos – Sports Information Director
- Andrea Johnson – Admin. Spec. II, Student Support Services
- Karen Pierce – Assistant Controller
- University Housing is proud to announce that the new building quickly taking shape near the University Village, see photo below, will be primarily for sophomores. It will house interest groups with themes such as “Pay it Forward,” “Going Green,” and “Wellness.” Faculty members will be able to participate by being mentors for the various interest groups.
In Our Thoughts
- Family and friends of SAU student Johnathon Dempsey, who passed away on Thursday, January 31, 2013. Graveside services were held on Monday, February 4, 2013. Memorial donations may be made to CCAPS, Columbia County Animal Protection Society, P.O. Box 2003, Magnolia, AR 71754. More information is available in his obituary.
- Funeral services were held Wednesday, January 30, 2013, for Denise Moseley’s son, Daniel Clifton Moseley, SAU alum and former Mulerider baseball player.
- Vicki Butler’s father passed away peacefully in his home on the morning of Thursday, January 31, 2013. Funeral services were Saturday, February 2, 2013.
- Claudia “Penny” Lyons went to 1/5 time on February 1.
- Tuesday, February 5
- A baby shower in honor of Laura Wilkerson will be from 4:30-5:30 p.m. at the Wesley Foundation. The “come and go” event is hosted by Enrollment Services.
- Wednesday, February 6
- A baby shower in honor of Kandice Herron to help welcome baby Ryder will be “come and go” from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Reynolds 205. Kandice is registered at Wal-Mart and Target.
- Wednesday, February 13, and Thursday, February 14
- The 21st Annual SAU Wildlife Presentation by Tom Ulrich will be held both nights in Foundation Hall from 7-8:30 p.m. Find out more about Ulrich at www.tomulrichphotos.com
MISS AN EVENT?
SEE THE PHOTOS…
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day 2013 (21 photos)
Agriculture Building Dedication (31 photos)
Agriculture Center and Stables 1-28-13 (29 photos)
The Mulerider Diary is a product of the SAU Communications Center.
It is produced to help keep faculty and staff at SAU informed about all of the exciting things taking place around campus.
If you have any suggestions or submissions, please e-mail them to: firstname.lastname@example.org.