The ESL exit test is an English proficiency test that you can take in order to meet the English proficiency requirement for undergraduate or graduate admission at SAU. The name of the exit test used by the ESL program is the Michigan English Language Institute College English Test (also known as “MELICET”, “MELAB”, or “Michigan Test”).
If you pass the ESL exit test, you can apply to the academic program (undergraduate or graduate) of your choice at SAU without TOEFL or IELTS (and without having to take ESL classes).
How long does the exit test take?
- About 2.5 hours.
How much does it cost?
How can I pay the test fee?
- You can pay it in our university when you come to take the test. You can pay by card or cash.
How many times can I attempt it?
- You may only attempt it 2 times.
What does it consist of? What is the pattern of the test?
- It consists of 150 multiple choice questions on Listening, Grammar, Vocabulary, Cloze, and Reading.
Do you offer training materials or sample exercises?
- No, but you are welcome to google “MELICET”, “MELAB” or “Michigan Test” to try to find more information and possibly sample exercises online.
What score do I need to get to pass the exit test?
- The “scaled” pass score for undergraduate admission is 65; for graduate admission – 70.
Can I take the test online?
- No. The test must be taken on the SAU campus (Magnolia, AR) only.
When can I take the test?
- We usually conduct the test on Fridays at 2 p.m. (but we can consider other weekdays as well). You must make an appointment by email before coming to the test.
How do I make an appointment (reserve a test slot)?
- Simply email us at ESL@saumag.edu and tell us on which day you would like to come. You must receive a confirmation email informing you that your test slot is reserved. Please make your appointment at least one business day (24 hours) in advance.
What do I bring to the test?
- $50 (card or cash), picture ID (U.S. visa, or U.S. issued driver’s license or state ID), and 2 sharpened pencils with erasers. Pencils or erasers are not provided.
When will I get the result?
- You will get the result on the following Monday by email.
What happens if I pass the test?
- If you pass the test, you will receive an ESL certificate that you can present as proof of English proficiency for your application to the academic program at SAU. You will not have to provide TOEFL or IELTS scores, or take ESL classes. Please note, however, that you will still be responsible for meeting all the other requirements for admission to your academic program (e.g. GRE for graduate students, etc.), and you must take all the following application steps yourself. The ESL program’s role stops at issuing your certificate and forwarding it to you and to the International Office; the rest is between you and the International Office.
What happens if I fail the test?
- If you failed it once – you can have one more attempt. You will have to schedule another appointment and pay $50 again. If you failed it twice – your only option is taking ESL classes at SAU.