Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2020 3:48 PM
Subject: [Students]Campus Face Covering Requirements-Please read
SAU COVID-19 Face Covering Policy
The overarching principle guiding this policy is that it is becoming clear that the world will have to live with COVID-19 for an unknown period. SAU must operate within state and federal health guidelines if it is to continue its mission of education, scholarly activity, and public service in the midst of this pandemic. All decisions regarding the health and safety for the campus community and visitors will be based on the best available and most current information published by state and federal officials.
Effective July 15, 2020 SAU requires:
- All faculty, staff, students, and visitors to wear an appropriate face-covering while inside campus facilities/buildings where six feet social distancing may not always be possible. Face covering use will be in addition to and is not a substitute for social distancing.
- All faculty, staff, students, and visitors to wear an appropriate face covering outdoors when social distancing is not possible.
Face coverings are not required in one’s own dorm room or suite, when alone in an enclosed office or study room, or in campus outdoor settings where social distancing requirements are met.
Anyone not using a face covering when required will be asked to wear one or must leave the area. A repeated refusal to comply with the requirement may result in discipline through the applicable conduct code for faculty, staff or students.
Reasonable accommodations may be made for those who are unable to wear a face covering for documented health reasons.
Classroom Policy Regarding Face Coverings
Everyone is required to wear face coverings inside classrooms. Failure by students to adhere to this stated policy will result in the following:
- 1st refusal – a student’s refusal to wear a face covering inside a classroom will result in that student being dismissed from class for that day. The Dean of Students will be informed of this incident and will schedule a meeting to discuss the situation with the student and provide education on the need for face coverings.
- 2nd refusal – The second incident in which a student refuses to wear a face covering will result in that student being deregistered from the class for the remainder of the semester. The student’s conduct will be reported to the Dean of Students and processed for a violation of the Code of Student Conduct, which can be basis for suspension.
Non-Classroom Policy Regarding Face Coverings
Everyone is required to wear face coverings inside campus buildings. Everyone is required to wear face coverings in outdoor spaces when social distancing is not possible. Any member of the campus community may report violations to email@example.com. Failure to adhere to this stated policy will result in the following:
- 1st refusal– faculty or staff refusal to wear a face covering inside a campus building will require a meeting with the Vice President for Administration to discuss the importance of this policy and the need for the SAU campus community to follow these safety measures. The Dean of Students will be informed of a student incident and will schedule a meeting to discuss the situation with the student and provide education on the need for face coverings.
- 2nd refusal – A second refusal by faculty or staff to wear a face covering will result in a disciplinary meeting with the individual, their department chair or direct supervisor, and the college dean or administrator to consider the imposition of suspension without pay until a face covering is worn or the need for face coverings ends. A second refusal by a student to wear a face covering will be reported to the Dean of Students and processed for a violation to the Student Code of Conduct, which can be basis for suspension.
Campus Visitors/Guests Policy Regarding Face coverings
Everyone visiting the SAU campus is required to wear face coverings inside campus buildings and classrooms. This policy helps to protect the SAU community, including campus visitors/guests, students, faculty, and staff. Failure to adhere to this stated policy will result in the following:
- Each office on campus must keep a supply of face coverings to provide to campus visitors/guests who may enter without a face covering.
- Refusal to wear a face covering will result in an individual being asked to leave campus and invited to return when the individual is willing to adhere to stated SAU policy.
- An individual’s refusal to leave campus may result in an employee contact to University Police at (870)235-4100 to escort the individual off the premises.
- If an individual has a medical or disability-related reason for not wearing a typical face covering, the individual should contact his/her medical provider to identify alternative facial protection and should contact firstname.lastname@example.org for guidance on receiving the campus service the visitor needs.
For students, faculty, and staff who have a health issue that prevents the use of typical face coverings, the following steps should be taken:
- Contact University Health Services at (870)235-5237 or email email@example.com.
- If a documented disability/reason is identified, University Health Services will assist the individual in identifying alternative facial protection.
- Students who cannot wear face coverings will be given the option of attending class remotely.
- Faculty and staff who cannot wear face coverings will engage in discussions with supervisors and the Vice President for Administration to determine a course of action.