Images and video can communicate important information much faster than text alone – however images and videos should be used with carefully consideration of the following:
- relation to the textual content
- media quality
- Size of media in relation to other elements on the page
- ownership of the media
- Images generally should not exceed 500px in height. Tall images block valuable content from being visible at page load.
- Images or other media files should have alternative text or captions applied to the image to assist with ADA compliance.
- Images that are not full-width to the page content should be linked to the media file URL. Users can then click on a lightbox the image full-screen.
- Media should always directly correlate with nearby text.
- Clipart should never be used.