The SAU Chapter of the Arkansas Student Nurses’ Association is the student nurse professional organization on campus. SAU SNA is an enthusiastic, gifted group of student nurses who are extremely active in the community. The organization strives to inform nursing students of current health issues and promote socialization of nursing students into the professional nursing role.
ANSA State Convention is held in the fall, Midyear Conference follows, and NSNA National Convention occurs each spring. On the Chart is the SNA official newsletter, publishing chapter news for the student body.
The SAU Student Nurses’ Association completes approximately 2,000 hours of community service each academic year. Various annual activities of the chapter include: American Cancer Society Relay for Life, SAU Foundation Phonathon participants, American Red Cross Disaster Preparedness Training, Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, Hannah Medical Center Banquet, Angel Tree, Asthma Prevention and Awareness Program Initiative, and LifeShare blood drives. The chapter is also active in on-campus activities such as Preview Day, BAM, pre-nursing recruitment, Homecoming activities, and the Celebration of Lights.
How do I get involved?
Membership is open to nursing and pre-nursing students enrolled at SAU. Membership in SNA by pre-nursing majors does not guarantee admission into the Department of Nursing, but it does provide pre-nursing students with excellent opportunities to get involved in the culture of the department and network with potential future colleagues.
Anyone interested in joining can contact the faculty advisors.
SNA Activities Spring 2013
Sign-up sheets for members to participate in SNA activities are located outside office 223 in Wharton Nursing Building. A Calendar of Events is updated monthly in the newsletter, On The Chart, and activities are also highlighted on the SNA Facebook page.
- Asthma Prevention and Management Initiative supporting AKA sorority in providing education to children about asthma using prepared curriculum in five Head Start centers in Louisiana
- February 15, February 21, February 28, and March 1.
- Monetary support and donation drive to support purchase of multivitamins for Mrs. Laura Shirey’s Medical Mission Trip to Honduras
- Global Initiative
- SAU Foundation Phonathon to Benefit WNB NameASeat Campaign
- March 25, 26, 27, 28
- LifeShare Blood Drive WNB Parking lot
- March 4, 2013
- National Student Nurses’ Association 61st Annual Convention Charlotte, NC
- April 3-7, 2013
- Columbia County Relay for Life Team
- April 6, 2013
- Bimonthly newsletter “On the Chart”
- Red Cross Disaster Preparedness Training
- March 9, 2013 9am-1pm College of Science and Tech room 105