The Bachelor of General Studies (BGS) degree offers students an alternative to degrees that focus on a single area of study or prepare them for a specific profession. The BGS degree may also serve the needs of those who return to the University in order to better their professional opportunities.
In addition to the required 35 general education hours, BGS students choose three areas of concentration as listed below. The primary area of concentration requires 30 hours, at least 15 of that must be junior/senior (3000/4000 level) resident hours. The secondary two areas require 12 hours each, with at least nine resident hours within the two areas. To fulfill the expected 120 hours, there are ample opportunities to take electives from any area of interest. Completion of degree requires 40 junior/senior hours.
Areas of Concentration – Bachelor of General Studies
|Business ||Education* |
- The student must complete a total of 120 hours, with 40 upper-division hours.
- Three (3) hours foreign language. This requirement will not be met by completing a foreign language course to fulfill the fine arts/foreign language General Education requirement.
- Degree plan must be filed in registrar’s office with application no later than third class day in the prior semester before scheduled graduation.
- No courses may be double counted.
- Students must maintain a 2.00 grade point average.
Online Courses and Completion
Depending on the areas of concentration and department course offerings, it is possible to complete the BGS degree partially or entirely online. However, because of the nature of the BGS degree with its variety of concentrations and electives, the University cannot insure that students will be able to enroll in the online courses they need each semester. Please contact the scheduling departments or consult the Undergraduate Catalog for course offerings and rotations.
Associate of Arts Degree (A.A.) – 60 hours
The associate of arts degree in General Studies is offered to students who complete a minimum of 60 semester hours, which must include general education requirements. Students must have a 2.00 or higher grade point average, meet residency requirements, and apply for the degree.