Each entering freshman is required to submit scores from the American College Test (ACT) or alternate test. An applicant will take the ACT Residual for the following reasons:
- The entering freshman was unable to take the national ACT.
- The applicant needs a higher ACT score to be admitted.
- The student needs a higher score to avoid remediation classes.
The ACT Residual may not be taken within 60 days of taking the ACT Assessment through Residual or any other non-national tests on campus. Scores will be cancelled and the test fee will not be refunded. Scores cannot be used to establish scholarship or athletic eligibility.
ACT reports for students testing residually on Southern Arkansas University’s campus will be sent ONLY to SAU.
The ACT Residual consists of four paper-pencil, multiple-choice tests: English (45 minutes), Mathematics (60 minutes), Reading (35 minutes) and Science Reasoning (35 minutes). Allowing time to fill in personal data, the test takes approximately four hours to take.
ACT-approved calculators are allowed on the Mathematics test (www.actstudent.org), but are not required. The following types of calculators are NOT allowed:
- pocket organizers
- handheld or laptop computers
- electronic writing pads or pen-input devices
- models with a QWERTY (typewriter keypad)
- models with paper tapes
- models that make noise
- models that can communicate (transfer data or information) wirelessly with other calculators
- models that require a power cord
Registration is required. Call 870-235-4145 to make a reservation. Report to the testing site with the test fee, picture I.D., and pencils.
The ACT Residual is graded locally and the results are sent to the Office of Admissions.
2014 ACT Residual Dates
- August 4, 8:30 a.m. in Wilson Hall. Fee: $40 with picture I.D., pencils, and calculator.
- August 11, 1:00 p.m. in Wilson Hall. Fee: $40 with picture I.D., pencils and calculator.
- August 21, 8:30 a.m. in Wilson Hall. Fee: $40 with picture I.D., pencils and calculator.
- August 26, 8:30 a.m. in Wilson Hall. Fee: $40 with picture I.D., pencils, and calculator